Duplicate Volume: File "xxx": appears incomplete

saberman

Windows XP Pro SP2

Retrospect Express 6.5.342

I have two machines with USB attached drives. I am trying to duplicate the contents of a drive (call it DriveX) on Machine1 to a drive (call it DriveY) on Machine2. Both drives are formated as FAT32.

DriveX is mapped as X: on Machine1.

DriveY is mapped as Y: on Machine1.

I have setup sub directories as volumes on each drive (call them Music). I have setup the script as follows:

Source: Music on DriveX (X:)

Destination: Music on DriveY on Machine2

replacing all contents

Selection: All Files

Options: Verification on

Don't duplicate Windows security information from workstations

The first time I run it all of the files are copied and all of them are reported as "appears incomplete" by the verify.

The second time I run the script Retrospect deletes all of the files in Music on DriveY and then copies all of the files from Music on DriveX to DriveY. (I assume because it thinks they are different.) Again, all of the files are reported as "appears incomplete" by the verify.

If I use the DOS comp /D on Machine1 to compare a file on DriveX with the corresponding file on DriveY it says they are identical. If I check the file properties from Machine1 they show exactly the same size and space on disk.

If I run the same type of script between two locally attached drives on Machine1 the process works as expected -- no errors are reported and the second execution does not copy any files. It would appear there is a problem with Retrospect duplicating to a network attached drive.

Is there a fix for this?

Is anybody there? Does anybody care?

As a side note a duplicate of a directory on a 500GB drive with 450GB of data hase been running for 19 hours with 10 hours left. Let's see -- 450GB/((19+10)*60) ==> 192KB/minute. I think a diskette drive can do that.

Edited by Guest

Retrospect uses a byte by byte verification. File Appears Incomplete error means that the files are not 100% identical.

I thought I mentioned that I did a binary compare of the source and target files and they are identical.

It appears that Retrospect has a bug when comparing a file on a networked drive with one on a locally attached drive.

I am looking for a workaround so it doesn't copy 500GB every time.

I know of no bug in the Retrospect's byte by byte verification method. Keep in mind that Retrospect has to look at everything about the file, including the meta data, permissions, etc. What exact tool did you use for your binary compare?

Also keep in mind that you are using a VERY old version of Retrospect. You can try a newer version and see if it works better for you.

I used the DOS comp program with the /D option which reports differences in decimal.

The source disk is a Western Digital 500GB USB unit formatted as FAT32. It is locally attached to Machine1. The target drive is a Western Digital 500GB USB unit formatted as FAT32. It is locally attached to Machine2. It is also mapped to Machine1.

I run the same script to duplicate files between the source drive and another Western Digital USB drive locally attached to Machine1. That works fine and does not report any errors.

BTW, while watching a run I noticed that the error messages are generated immediately after each file is copied not during the verification (comparison) phase. The error message says the file appears to be incomplete. This implies that that Retrospect is not sure if the data was completely written (which it was).

Since both drives are FAT32 I don't think there is very much meta data. I also specified not to copy Windows security information although there isn't any for a FAT32 drive.

I don't mind the warning messages. The real problem is that the script is supposed to run every night to keep the drives synchronized and instead of just copying new and updated files Retrospect Express copies all 500GB every night.

+ Duplicate using NYSABW0007-V_To_Y_My_TiVo_Recor at 7/16/2008 22:22 PM

To volume My TiVo Recordings on MY Book 06 on Nysabw0006...

- 7/16/2008 22:22:16 PM: Copying My TiVo Recordings on My book 04 (V:)

File "V:\My TiVo Recordings\Part2\Boston Legal\''... There's Fire!'' (Recorded Feb 28, 2006, WABC).TiVo": appears incomplete

File "V:\My TiVo Recordings\Part2\Boston Legal\''Angel of Death'' (Recorded Jan 9, 2007, WABC).TiVo": appears incomplete

File "V:\My TiVo Recordings\Part2\Boston Legal\''Attack of the Xenophobes'' (Recorded Nov 13, 2007, WABC).TiVo": appears incomplete

File "V:\My TiVo Recordings\Part2\Boston Legal\''Beauty and the Beast'' (Recorded Sep 25, 2007, WABC).TiVo": appears incomplete

This occurs as the files are copied -- not during the verification (compare) phase.

Edited by Guest

I would run a disk check on the V drive. I suspect the operating system is reporting the file should be a specific size and Retrospect is seeing a different size when copying starts.

Also, this older version could be having trouble copying large files over the network. Try the current version.

I think you missed the posting where I said that it works fine as long as both the source disk and the target disk are on the same machine.

As to the version -- this is the version that came with my Western Digital USB drives. If it is buggy then Western Digital should either supply fixes or free upgrades to working versions. I do not think it is proper for them to ship versions that do not work and expect the purchasers of their drives to pay to get working backup software when they said that WORKING BACK UP SOFTWARE was included with the drive purchase. Of course if Western Digital thought they licensed working software from Dantz then Western Digital should ask Dantz to provide that software to its customers.

Edited by Guest

Keep in mind that Retrospect 6.5 came out in 2004. Your computer has had a lot of system updates and changes in the last 4 years, so it is possible that the older software worked better at the time of it's original release. You currently do not even have the latest version of 6.5 installed.

http://www.emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/updates/retrospect/archive/#UPDATETYPE14

I would suggest downloading a trial to Retrospect 7.6 to see if you have better success.

The link you provide indicates there is an update to Retrospect 6.5.350 Installer.

However, when you click on it you do not get a page that lets you download an upgrade. You eventually wind up at a page that is selling the 7.x version.

Why would anyone upgrade to the next version when the current one has a problem in determining whether or not a file has changed?

I bought a USB drive from Western Digital that was supposed to come with working backup software. The drive works -- the software (from EMC) doesn't.

EMC does not provide anyway to file bug reports. (Most software vendors encourage bug reports so they can make their products better. EMC appearently thinks their products are perfect. Remind me to tell you about the one instruction IBM program that had a bug and had to be replaced.)

EMC does not provide anyway to file bug reports.

Actually we do have feedback forms on our website to report bugs, but as I said earlier, you are using a 4 year old version of Retrospect. If you upgrade or at least download a trial to the current version, you can better identify if your "bug" is already fixed. Retrospect isn't perfect. That is why we have had about 10 product releases since the version you are using, including at least one 6.5 update beyond the one you are using. We have had multiple 7.0 releases, multiple 7.5 releases and just released 7.6

There is a security update for Retrospect 6.50 on the same page with an earlier date than the installer. Do I need to run the security update or is it already in the 6.5.350 installer dated 2004-04-19?

EDIT:

I installed the 6.5.350 version -- it has the same bug.

Edited by Guest

>I would run a disk check on the V drive. I

>suspect the operating system is reporting the

>file should be a specific size and Retrospect is

>seeing a different size when copying starts.

The problem does not occur if the target drive is locally attached. From that I conclude that the source drive is providing the correct size.

>Also, this older version could be having trouble

>copying large files over the network. Try the

>current version.

The files are copied correctly. They are exact copies of the source files. It is the control check that fails.

I will switch back to ROBOCOPY or XCOPY. The only reason I wanted to use Retrospect to clone the partitions was to put all backup under one scheduler and one set of logs.

Edited by Guest

>Actually we do have feedback forms on our

>website to report bugs,

Please provide the link.

>but as I said earlier, you are using a 4 year

>old version of Retrospect.

I suggest you modify the license agreements with the OEM drive manufactures to require them to ship current software. The drives were purchased in 2007 and version 7 was released in 2005. (Of course letting the OEM drive manufactures ship software that has bugs that are only fixed in an paid upgrade might be part of your business model but no ethical company would do that so I assume it is just an oversight.)

>If you upgrade or at least download a trial to

>the current version, you can better identify if

>your "bug" is already fixed. Retrospect isn't

>perfect. That is why we have had about 10

>product releases since the version you are

>using, including at least one 6.5 update beyond

>the one you are using. We have had multiple 7.0

>releases, multiple 7.5 releases and just

>released 7.6

I get paid to test, debug and fix software. If you want me to test version 7 please provide me the name of your contract officer and I would be delighted to discuss rates. I see no point in testing a trial version that I have no intention of purchasing. I have already paid for working software -- it is unfortunate that it was not tested by the people paid to do that.

Thank you for the time you spent on this. It is clear that there will not be any solution that will be acceptable to me. This tread has wasted enough bandwidth.

Have you even tried contacting the drive company to see if they offer a free update to your copy of Retrospect? It is possible they have something available.

Why they shipped older software? I have no idea, maybe you purchased a drive that had been stuck on the shelf for a long time. I know current WD drives ship with Express HD 2.0 with Vista support.

Edited by Guest

I took your advice and checked with Western Digital. They did have a download available for Retrospect Express 7.5. I downloaded and started it and it detected a upgrade which I downloaded and applied. I now have version 7.5.324 with driver version 7.5.6.105.

It still gets the same errors. However, what I failed to notice is that not every file has an error. There are 1670 files in the directory tree being duplicated. Only 340 are flagged as incomplete. It is reproducible -- the same ones are flagged each time so it appears that there some combination of size or content that causes Retrospect Express to miscalculate across a network. These are all mp3 files.

WinDiff says the files are identical.

I think I may have found the problem. When Retrospect Express clones files locally the last modified date/time is copied. When it clones files to a network attached drive the last modified date is changed to the current date/time. I don't know if that is part of the "meta data" that is checked but if it is -- then there's the bug.

If that is the problem please advise as to the name and address of the person at EMC that I should send the bill for my time to. If it is not then you are on your own -- I have spent too much time on this as is.

Have you tried a drag and drop of those specific files in Windows Explorer. It is very common that if the date changes when Retrospect copies it, then the operating system will often change the dates when they are copied manually via Windows Explorer.

Troubleshooting problems in a public forum is not an exact science and we can only offer suggestions based on the information at hand. If you need a more specific reason for the failure, then you need to contact technical support directly so specific questions can be asked and direct troubleshooting can be performed.

If that is the problem please advise as to the name and address of the person at EMC that I should send the bill for my time to.

You received your software as an add-on to purchased hardware. I would suggest contacting the hardware vendor for questions in this area. EMC does not provide reimbursement for time troubleshooting.

Have you tried a drag and drop of those specific files in Windows Explorer. It is very common that if the date changes when Retrospect copies it, then the operating system will often change the dates when they are copied manually via Windows Explorer.

Drag and dropping one of the "problem" files does not change its last modified date. Nor does XCOPY. Only Retrospect does this. (BTW, can anyone here say the date change is the reason Retrospect thinks the files appear incomplete. This maybe a bug but not the one that causes the original problem.)

Troubleshooting problems in a public forum is not an exact science and we can only offer suggestions based on the information at hand. If you need a more specific reason for the failure, then you need to contact technical support directly so specific questions can be asked and direct troubleshooting can be performed.

I would be glad to contact technical support directly but all of the routes I have tried asked for a support contract or a credit card. If you have a link to a support page (not the feedback page which is useless) please provide it.

I realize the Retrospect Express came via an OEM. However, EMC was paid by the OEM for their customers to use the product. I do not see any reason they should be paid again to allow the user to report reproducible bugs in their products.

I assume one of the reasons EMC licenses Retrospect Express to OEMs is that a certain number of users will buy the professional version or have their companies buy the professional version. My experience indicates otherwise.

Edited by Guest
Typos