Delete multiple snapshots from Disk Backup Set

Hello.

I need to delete about 20 snapshots from a Disk Backup Set. I can only select one at a time, click delete and WAIT 15 minutes before I can do ANYTHING else in Retrospect, including selecting and deleting another snapshot.

Isn't there ANY way to select multiple snapshots and delete them all in one go?

Retrospect 7.6.x (It was the same problem in 7.5.x for that matter).

Windows 2003 Server, SP 2.

HP server, Xeon Dual core 2,4GHz, 2GB RAM

• 2 months later...
It is on the feature request list.

How about, it's on the critical feature list, that should have been there from the start?

Would you have an ETA on when this feature will be available.

And I hope it will be implemented in a free upgrade say 7.7.

We backup around 80+ computers. That get moved, renamed, user name changes. So many old snapshot ghosts that fallout of the grooming schedule, get left on the backup set. And we then have to manually forget the ghost snapshots manually when the backup drive gets full.

Oh and we have 4 backup sets with catalogs at around 1.5GB each for around 900GB of data.

Retrospect is supposedly a professional backup solution and it costs as much as one.

We own an unlimited multi-server license with the open file backup option. And it wasn't cheap.

I expect to see this necessity(no, it's not a feature) implemented ASAP, or we will start looking elsewhere.

This feature will probably not make it into our next major release.

See

http://forums.dantz.com/showpost.php?post/111730/

It's very sad to see required functionality take so long to implement. In my opinion, this functionality is crucial for the next release.

I don't see how hard it would be to implement.

Allow user to selected multiple snapshots via shift-click or ctrl-click, when clicking on forget, put all snapshots to be removed in a queue and then process them 1 by 1. No need even for a progress indicator or an ETA on when the task will be completed.

No need even for a progress indicator or an ETA on when the task will be completed.

I disagree. I would very much like to see if the task is expected to finish in 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days.

If it's 5 minute, I get myself a cup of tea.

If it's 5 hours, I come back later in the day or maybe next morning.

No need even for a progress indicator or an ETA on when the task will be completed.

I disagree. I would very much like to see if the task is expected to finish in 5 minutes' date=' 5 hours or 5 days.

If it's 5 minute, I get myself a cup of tea.

If it's 5 hours, I come back later in the day or maybe next morning.[/quote']

I guess, an ETA or progress bar would be nice. I was just saying I'd rather have multiple snapshot removal without any ETA or progress bar than none at all.

I agree, Retrospect seems to have many strange design quirks like this and I also agree it's a bit naff that a SMB backup solution expects you to spend an hour (or more) sat in front of the backup server removing dead snapshots.

I can't imagine at the design meeting for this functionality no one thought about the inconvenience of having to do this one by one. Hell, most of us find how annoying this is within the first week of using it!

Rich

• 1 year later...

This has been a huge thorn in my side. I'm managing thousands of snapshots covering 42TB of backup storage. For me to have to click on one, click forget and wait several minutes or longer (but who knows, no progress indicator) when I need to remove 100+ snapshots is very frustrating to say the least. I've also fantasized of a dropdown menu to specify a "cutoff date" but that's another story.

I love Retrospect dearly but I have to say this is the one area I dread working with.

• 1 month later...