version 7.6 interactive services popup under vista sp1

drmcdona

There have been other posts about Retrospect 7.5 causing the vista interactive services dialog popup but I am experiencing the symptom under 7.6.111 on a new Vista build of SP1 with all Microsoft recommended maintenance applied. I didn't have this problem with 7.5 under Vista Beta SP1 but that system has been completely upgraded. This occurs when I have scheduled backups start.

I have just upgraded to 7.6.111 with vista SP1.

The manifestation is that vista will not allow communication with the new retrospect activity monitor. Whin back up starts, that is the cue for the "interactive services dialog detection" dialog box which says the problem lies with

"C:\Program Files....\Retrospect 7.6\UIMESON.DLL"

I was interested to see that your "interactive services dialog detection" dialog box says the problem lies with

"C:\Program Files....\Retrospect 7.6\UIMESON.DLL".

Although I have currently uninstalled 7.6.111, I'm pretty sure my "interactive services dialog detection" dialog box said the problem is with "C:\Program Files\Retrospect\Retrospect 7.6\Retrospect.exe".

A change was made from 7.5 to 7.6 which gives Vista user the ability to change the user account Retrospect launches under. This change now results in Windows displaying the dialog box alerting you that Retrospect is running.

In 7.5 you could not access the Retrospect user interface. When you click on this dialog box in 7.6, you will have access to the Retrospect UI.

Edited by Guest

Hi

In response to the question(s)

"Do you have Retrospect configured to run as the currently logged in user or have you configured security to run as a specific user?

When you tell Retrospect to run as a specific user (which you could not do with 7.5), then Vista is alerting you to what it considers to be a possible security concern."

Retrospect is configured to run as the currently logged in user - which is an administrator account.

The "Interactive Services Dialog Detection" window does not alert me that Retrospect is running.

The message in full is as follows:

"A program can't display a message on your desktop"

"The program may need information or permission to complete a task"

opt 1 - Show me the message

opt 2 - Remind me in a few minutes

Program(s) or devices(s) requesting attention:

C:\Program Files\Retrospect\Retrospect 7.6\Retrospect.exe

"This problem happens because of partial incompatability with Windows.Please contact the program or device manufacturer(s) for more information".

Clicking the "show me the message" option just takes me to light blue screen with a black rectangle in it - nothing else at all!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe I'm missing something but I liked the 7.5 approach of not bothering me with batch backup popups. As I understand it I need to run under a specific account but I only have one account (an administrator account) and I get "can't grant necessary user privlieges" when I try to enter my user ID and password (I don't have a domain to log into).

Can you explain what I ned to do on a single user system to make it work like 7.5?

Thanks.

Dave McDonald

Unfortunately you can't. Retrospect either runs using the System Account or as a specific account. You are logged in as Joe user and Windows Vista complains when a process tries to run under a different account.

The best option is to manually launch Retrospect and leave it running. When the script starts you won't get a dialog box.

I am working with engineering to make it clear that some user are not happy with the change in 7.6

I have found that the script does not continue to run automatically in the background when the "interactive services dialog detection" dialog box opens.

It seems the script does not run at all.

I have found that the only solution when the dialog box opens is to reboot the computer and then manually start Retrospect, before it has a chance to start automatically.

Retrospect needs to support multiple user accounts for several reasons:

1) Authentication to network resources

2) Authentication to Exchange 2007 servers

3) Authentication to Exchange 2003 servers

4) Authentication to SQL Servers.

Without adding support for multiple users accounts the above configurations could not be backed up. The workaround is to disable the dialog box from within Windows or leave Retrospect running.

I have edited the registry and will reviwew the effect.

I must say having to do this sort of thing streaches the claim your product is vista compataible. When coupled with the fact that a complete restore is a manual multi step process that requires you get a version of Vista up and running with EXACTLY the same level of software patchs as when the backup was taken, one is left wandering if the product is fit for purpose in a vista context. I say this will some adness as it has serverd me well in the past and XP

I couldn't agree more. I have been using Retrospect for many years with no problems at all.

Although aimed at the home user, I do begin to wonder if the product is now becoming too complex for the average home user.

I just have a single home computer to back up and certainly have no need for Authentication to Exchange 2007 servers,Authentication to Exchange 2003 servers,Authentication to SQL Servers etc.

It does seems so wrong to have to tweak the Registry just to get it to run in Vista.

Maybe the time has come for me to find a product that is more home user friendly, just like Retospect used to be!

I accept that the script should continue to run automatically in the background when the "interactive services dialog detection" dialog box opens.

Unfortunately on my system this does not happen.

I run McAfee SecurityCenter on my computer. Part of this program is "SystemGuard" which alerts the user when a potentially unwanted change to the computer occurs.

When "SystemGuard" is enabled, Retrospect scripts fail to run automatically in the background.

If "SystemGuard" is disabled, then the scripts will run automatically in the background.

There obviously seems to be some sort of conflict between version 7.6 and McAfee SecurityCenter, which was not present in version 7.5.

Retospect is configured to run as the currently logged in user, but this makes no difference.

I have looked further into this problem, and established the following:

It seems when Retrospect .exe is started, it adds the following string to the Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\explorer

"NoCDBurning"=dword:00000000

This string is then removed when Windows is closed.

When version 7.6 is first launched manually, McAfee "SystemGuard" correctly detects the registry change and alerts the user. The user can then allow the change and click the "Remember this action" box.

Each time version 7.6 is started manually afterwards, "SystemGuard" allows the registry change and Retospect runs normally.

However with automatic scripts, "SystemGuard" (For reasons I have not yet established) appears to block the Registry change.

There is no alert from "SystemGuard" and on checking the Registry, no change has been made and the script fails to run.

When McAfee "SystemGuard" is disabled, the Registry change is made by Retrospect and scripts run normally in the background.

Hope this makes some sense to you!! :confused2:

I have edited the registry and will reviwew the effect.

I must say having to do this sort of thing streaches the claim your product is vista compataible. When coupled with the fact that a complete restore is a manual multi step process that requires you get a version of Vista up and running with EXACTLY the same level of software patchs as when the backup was taken, one is left wandering if the product is fit for purpose in a vista context. I say this will some adness as it has serverd me well in the past and XP

This is to say that the workaround is proving to be succesful. I am slightly concerned that the solution may iteract with other applications.

Hi

to say the event log is now peppered with "errors", e.g "The Retrospect Launcher service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly." AND

"The Print Spooler service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly." AND

The Interactive Services Detection service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly."

It would appear the proposed workaround has a fundemental problem - it will stop the unwanted retrospect dialogue but at the expense of all other applications that use Interactive services.

Not good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am experienceing the same issues as everyone is descriving on this thread and i'm using Vista SP1 Retrospect 7.6.1111 I looked at the Knowledge Base article you posted and the "fix" from Microsoft, but i am just an "average" Vista user and not super computer savvy and the fix seems way beyond my capabilities. What should i do? :confused2: Could i cause more harm than good by trying to do this process? Will any updates to the Retrospect software be made to fix this issue?

Also,i am running a laptop with an external monitor attached for a dual monitor setup. When the "Interactive Services Dialog Detection" pops up, both my screens go nuts and my desktop which stretches across both screens looks like a big light blue screen across both monitors with the Interactive Services Dialog popup box showing on my 2nd monitor.

Edited by Guest