Back up to wrong location?

I'm using an Iomega external hard drive and Retrospect software came with it. I've backed up before with few problems, until recently. During the last backup I tried to do, it crashed in the middle of it. It gave me a memory error which I didn't understand since my computer hard drive is much smaller than the external hard drive so there should have been plenty of room to store the backup on the Iomega. To try and diagnose what happened, I tried backing up my other computer. Same thing happened.

A short time later, I started getting error messages on both computers stating that I was running out of hard drive space. At that point, I realized that the backups I tried to do were not being stored on the Iomega external drive, but on the computer's hard drive. To solve the problem of no computer hard drive space, I know I need to delete the incomplete backup. Problem is, I cannot find it.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to track these files down? Name of the backup set I could search on? A default location that I could look in?

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks