"Retrospect cannot start"

Sometimes I can't launch Retrospect. The error message is:

Retrospect cannot start.

You must be an administrator to back up your data with Retrospect

Well, I AM the administrator (and logged in as administrator).

This started when moving all our computers to a new domain, but it's not consistent.

Today I updated from 7.5.x to 7.6.x and also installed a few "Windows update" items. Restarted the computer and launched Retrospect without problems. However, one NAS server didn't mount, so I quit Retrospect mounted the NAS server and restarted Retrospect. Now Retrospect refused to start with the above error message.

I tried rebooting the server twice, but to no avail.

This also happened a few weeks ago but I forgot about the details. I remember it suddenly started to work again, But I had NO idea how I fixed it.

What operating system version are you using? This is an error we usually see if you are running an old version of 7.5 on Vista.

When you do install Retrospect on Vista you must uninstall the prior version first.

Whoops. Sorry for the omission.

Windows 2003 Server, SP 2.

Did you install Retrospect while logged in as administrator?

Have you configured Retrospect with a user account in the preferences?

What about 3rd party security tools like Norton 360? Sometimes and anti-virus program is a lot more, and could cause a conflict.

Installed while logged in as administrator.

Yes, Retrospect is configured with a user account in the prefs. (The user account IS an admin account.)

Symantec Antivirus version 10.1.

But that hasn't caused any problems before.

I don't think we have any other third party software, except for hardware drivers. None of them changed recently.

The retrorun.exe was running as SYSTEM. Changing the service to run specifically to run as the administrator user allowed Retrospect to launch.

But retrorun.exe SHOULD be able to run as SYSTEM, right?

Should I delete the service altogether and having Retrospect "install" anothor one?

You can uncheck Enable Launcher Service, Restart and turn the option on again.

Some type of security setting on the computer could be stopping the system account's access to the service

Thanks. Will try that tomorrow. Retrospect couldn't be launched yesterday and didn't run the nightly backup, so has still a bit of cathing up to do.

You can uncheck Enable Launcher Service, Restart and turn the option on again.

That didn't help. Retrospect won't launch after reboot.
Some type of security setting on the computer could be stopping the system account's access to the service
Where should I start looking?