unable to access retrospect 7.5 multi sever from terminal server session

hi,

i did a search on this topic, and saw this kb article, but neither of those "solutions" worked for me.

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/searchDirect/?searchString=terminal+server&searchType=allwords&searchby=keywords&r=0.402096

is there a way to run retrospect in a TS session with Win 2K3 EE R2 x64 SP2 as the OS? If so how?

Edited by Guest

have you created a special domain account specifically for retrospect?

have you configured retrospect to use this specific domain account?

does this domain account have logon rights on this server?

what happens when you connect to the server with the RDP client and logon using the retrospect user and password?

what happens when you run tsadmin while logged in as the administrator? Can you see that the retrospect account has a terminal session running, and is running retrospect within it?

Do you have a backup scheduled? The retrospect helper service only launches retrospect and logs into a TS session when there is something it will need to be doing soon, so make a fake backup job for testing so that it has something to do and thus launches retrospect in the TS session.

have you created a special domain account specifically for retrospect?

no there is no domain in my environment

have you configured retrospect to use this specific domain account?

N/A

does this domain account have logon rights on this server?

N/A

what happens when you connect to the server with the RDP client and logon using the retrospect user and password?

same behaviour as non RS user / PW

what happens when you run tsadmin while logged in as the administrator? Can you see that the retrospect account has a terminal session running, and is running retrospect within it?

yes i can see it, and yes it's running

Do you have a backup scheduled? The retrospect helper service only launches retrospect and logs into a TS session when there is something it will need to be doing soon, so make a fake backup job for testing so that it has something to do and thus launches retrospect in the TS session.

yes backup is shceduled and running

Edited by Guest

same behaviour as non RS user / PW

So you're telling me that you can't connect to the terminal session inside which Retrospect is running?

I gather that retrospect is running as "Administrator", have you explicitly entered this username and password into the preferences settings?

So when you RDP at the server, and login as administrator, it fails to reconnect to the Retrospect-containing terminal session?

What happens when you use TSADMIN and "remote control" or "Connect" to that session?

So with TSADMIN, you're not able to reconnect to that specific session? I wonder why that is. What error message does it give you? Is it listed as a disconnected session?

that is correct, ts session 0 is where RS is running, and i can't get to that remotely.

there are no error messages, i just always start a new session (1) when i connect

Please try the new Retrospect Activity Monitor tool designed to give you a view of your backups when using terminal services.

Comes with Retrospect 7.6

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=9685&p=2

upgraded from 7.5 to 7.6, and tried to launch RS 1st, then activity monitor.

now instead of the RS gui being grayed out, i get a single blue dialogue box with 5 lines across it as shown in that kb article.

the "power button" is orange, so i'm not sure what that means? when i click on that icon, it pops open another window that i can't read either.

net net, this doesn't solve the problem, but did change the problem.

I believe the orange power button means that the Retrospect application is not running or the monitor can not find the 7.6 application.

When you launch the Retrospect Application the monitor power button will change to green.

Can you test this directly on the box, without using the remote connection just to make sure it works for you locally before trying it over the wire?

I believe the orange power button means that the Retrospect application is not running or the monitor can not find the 7.6 application.

When you launch the Retrospect Application the monitor power button will change to green.

Can you test this directly on the box, without using the remote connection just to make sure it works for you locally before trying it over the wire?

i tested this on the box, and RS & console works correctly on the box directly.

he "power button" is orange, so i'm not sure what that means? when i click on that icon, it pops open another window that i can't read either.

Do you have a screenshot of this?

that one has it in there. blow up the picture a bit, and note the orange button on the top right.

I am most interested in what you describe as "when i click on that icon it pops open another window that i can't read either". I don't see that "other window" in your screenshot, just the activity monitor with the Orange button.

added another screenshot that clearly shows the 2nd window which pops up when i hit the "power" button

The Retrospect Monitor application uses the local loopback address to talk to the Retrospect Application. If a firewall or other security setting is blocking the loopback address then you might see a problem with the monitor showing no backup status.

The Retrospect Monitor application uses the local loopback address to talk to the Retrospect Application. If a firewall or other security setting is blocking the loopback address then you might see a problem with the monitor showing no backup status.

the only firewall i'm running is the Windows one, and in theory RS is supposed to allow that isn't it?

actually, if that was the problem then the RS window wouldn't work when i'm on the machine either right? it does work when i'm physically on it, so i'm not sure that is the issue.