0x80040707

I recently purchased a new machine to be added to the fairly extensive list of computers being backed up. However, when I try to install the client on it, I get a message saying "Setup failed to run installation: (0x80040707)"

I tried to resolve this the same way our other Retrospect client issue was resolved (via Safe Mode and liberal use of reboots) but that didnt help.

Can you? (the collective "you")

This error is coming from Install Shield and not Retrospect itself.

You can try downloading the latest msi from Microsoft. If that does not help, I suggest trying the 7.5 client to see if it works better.

Google Install shield 0x80040707, you will find tons of suggestions for fixing this problem.

Edited by Guest

My guess is that you've got an issue involving the installshield engine on that computer.

Normally this is due to some other product also using the installshield engine to install, but with an engine that is incompatible with the one used to install retrospect.

The work-around is to remove all install shield engines from the computer and then install retrospect.

Unfortunately, this may affect the other product's ability to be uninstalled, since it's installer will have been removed, but sometimes re-installing it can solve this problem when you get to it.

I've written a visual basic script that removes all installsheild engines from a PC, so feel free to give it a try:

http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/25057