Sign in to follow this  
doctorb

Kernel panic when I tried to configure the optical drive

I, also, just got a new 2.66Ghz iMac with 10.5.2 and the standard MATSHITA optical drive. Both Retrospect 6.0 and 6.1 didn't recognize the superdrive. When I tried to configure, nothing happened (except the spinning beach ball) with a CD, and a kernel panic occurred when I tried to configure a DVD. I added the driver rdu6114101, but the same thing happened. I also tried to uninstall (that is, delete all the Restrospect files I could find) and reinstall 6.1, but again got an immediate kernal panic. Any thoughts?

Thanks, I didn't know that. Incidentally, my optical drive is a OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5630A, which is listed as a supported drive with the 6114101 update, but it still crashes when I try to configure a DVD or CD. Why would that happen?

You shouldn't need to configure if it's a supported drive. Remove the .rdi file in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect

As to why it happens, seems there is a bug, either in Retrospect or in MacOS.

Note, with your configuration, you should disable ACL backup in preferences to avoid one or more bugs in the Universal Binary version of MacOS:

Retrospect hack for ACL bug

Note that the Knowledge Base article is out of date as to the MacOS versions that have the bug, and is also wrong about which platforms have the bug, which can occur on any version of MacOS Universal Binary.

Russ