Retrospect Windows 7.5 - Email alerts not working

Hello all,

I am hoping that someone can help me!

I have Retrospect Single Server running on a client's machine. Backups are running fine, but they are wanting an email to confirm whether or not the backup worked successfully. I have configured the server and sender / recipient details. When testing the settings, I get an error stating: "E-mail notification failed: -541 (backup client not installed or not running)

The mailserver is the same server as the one that Retrospect is running on - they only have one server in this office, so I can not see why it would require Retrospect client. I have tried using the server's FQDN, IP address (full and 127.0.0.1), and localhost etc, with no difference.

I tried installing the client anyway, but could not add this to Retrospect as it complained that there are no client licences (it is single-server licence).

Surely they do not need to purchase a client licence in order to send email alerts?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

The client is not needed for email alerts. You are getting some type of network error reported by the mail server. You can see more specific debug errors using these steps:

ctrl-alt-p-p (Hit P twice while holding ctrl alt). Under Debug Logging, change Networking to 7. Try the test button for email notification. Check the operations log for the errors reported by your mail server.

see http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=9636&p=2

This probably doesn't help, but I include it anyway: http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=9623&p=2

Hello Mayoff,

Thank you for your reply. This was very helpfull!

Turns out that it was a network issue, which I had not looked at as the server was a mailserver and was working fine.

McAfee was blocking all SMTP connections outbound from anything which was not the IIS SMTP service. It was blocking Retrospect from sending mail in case it was some kind of mass-mailing worm.

If anyone else has this issue, this is what I had to do (not strictly a Retrospect solution, but might be helpful!)

Open McAfee VirusScan Console (right click the shield at the bottom right).

Right click Access Protection and select Properties.

In the section "Ports to Block", untick the "Prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail" option.

Regards,

Jerry

Have you confirmed that the local box is able to relay mail to the intended recipient? An easy way to test this is to send the mail manually via telnet..

On the server drop to a command prompt and type the following:

telnet localhost 25

HELO DOMAIN.COM

MAIL FROM: SENDER@DOMAIN.COM

RCPT TO: RECIPIENT@DOMAIN.COM

DATA

Test Message

Then exit by hitting CTRL+]

If there is a configuration problem with the SMTP server preventing message delivery, you will likely get errors after addressing the message with the rcpt to command.