Sony AIT-2 drives

I have a Sony LIB-D81 library with an AIT-2 drive inside. This drive is on its last leg: Needs cleaning often and has write errors once a week.

At the same time there is an unused Sony AIT-2 Turbo drive in the server box itself. As both drives are SCSI, I was thinking: Can I replace the ageing AIT-2 in the LIB-D81 with the unused Sony AIT-2 Turbo drive?

"Why don't I just try it myself?", you ask. Well, this is our email server so downtime is allowed just in emergencies.

Thanks guys. I know it's compatible, because we used it with Retrospect before. And to use the higher capacity, you need new tapes with AIT-2T capacity. We got plenty of old AIT-2 tapes that works just fine, but with AIT-2 capacity.

I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear: Will the new drive fit physically in the old library?

As a side note: How can I set the DEFAULT subscription to "email immediately"? So I don't have to manually subscribe to each and every thread I post in.

• 1 month later...

To answer my own question:

Yes, the drive did fit. I had to exchange the fronts of the drives, as the loader drive didn't have a door, but guides for the cartridge.

I also had to extend a 4-wire cable with 5cm (2 inches) as the connector was moved to the "far" side of the back of the drive. It wasn't the SCSI-cable, the power cable or the SCSI-ID cable, but a fourth cable. I have NO idea what is does, but the loader didn't work without it.