Error Log

cybor462

I have just got my system 100% after a problem with Symantec files and programs running even after they were supposed to be uninstalled.

Now my system is good again I did a fresh total backup. After the 36 gig backup I got 10 errors a few said :Decrompression failed due to corrupt input data"

The rest said the files did not compare.

Should I worry about these errors? Will they cause me to not get a good restore if needed?

I am running 7.5 Professional ver 7.5.508

update 7.5.14.102

Thanks

Edited by Guest

I started from scratch and deleted all other backups and did a recyle backup since my system is now 100% something it was not for some time.

Even with that I had those errors. I did it again making sure everything was right, I again did a recyle backup. I backed up all files but cached files, no network files, I used software compression, backed up to an external hard drive as I always do. I used to use thorough verification, but as a test on the 3rd try I changed it to the MD5 setting (the second choice on that menu) and this time it reported 8 errors all were in the md5 reporting.

The first backup I had 10 errors and I used the thorough verification. I had "decompression errors" as well as "didn't compare" errors. The second try I had 17 errors the same reported reasons.

This time 3rd try they were just "didnt compare" errors. I thought it odd that the files shown in error are all different than the last backup attempt.

I am concerned, I want to be sure if and when I need to restore it will restore correctly.

I thank you for your continued help.

I just looked and saw other posts relating to compare errors like I have. You answered those posts that it is a bug in the software. Would that be the same with my results? And if so do I have a good solid backup including these files?

Jim

"file didn't compare" is not the same as "decompression errors". Please post the actual section of your log showing the errors so we don't need to guess about what you are really seeing.

I suspect you are having hardware problems with your storage device or its connection to the computer.

This was the last try using media verification.

To Backup Set 51708...

5/17/2008 2:26:23 AM: Recycle backup: The Backup Set was reset

- 5/17/2008 2:26:23 AM: Copying HP_PAVILION (C:)

5/17/2008 4:17:42 AM: Snapshot stored, 108.3 MB

5/17/2008 4:18:11 AM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 115574 files, 33.5 GB, with 4% compression

Performance: 325.5 MB/minute

Duration: 01:51:48 (00:06:27 idle/loading/preparing)

- 5/17/2008 4:18:11 AM: Verifying 51708

Generated MD5 digest for file "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Videos\Mysteries of the Nile (Hi-def).wmv" does not match stored MD5 digest.

Generated MD5 digest for file "C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\HP\Digital Imaging\Vault\bf96bbe7_1465273.jpg" does not match stored MD5 digest.

Generated MD5 digest for file "C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Restore HP_PAVILION.iso" does not match stored MD5 digest.

Generated MD5 digest for file "C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache\{D7B71EE2-1A14-11CF-276A-2C0AA1C2CB35}_2442_2\rashaderstmbasedetailcrackndetailncrackshadow.cfx" does not match stored MD5 digest.

Generated MD5 digest for file "C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Machine books\Shop_Mathematics.pdf" does not match stored MD5 digest.

Generated MD5 digest for file "C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\old2\soundforge8_manual.exe" does not match stored MD5 digest.

Generated MD5 digest for file "C:\jim doc\old\registrationrepairtool10.exe" does not match stored MD5 digest.

Generated MD5 digest for file "C:\Program Files\Sonic Foundry\Shared Plug-Ins\Help Files\aviplugfra.hlp" does not match stored MD5 digest.

5/17/2008 5:30:14 AM: 8 execution errors

Remaining: 8 files, zero KB

Completed: 115566 files, 32.8 GB

Performance: 465.9 MB/minute

Duration: 01:12:02 (00:00:06 idle/loading/preparing)

This was the previous using thorough verification.

To Backup Set Clean Box 51608...

5/16/2008 10:09:40 PM: Recycle backup: The Backup Set was reset

- 5/16/2008 10:09:40 PM: Copying HP_PAVILION (C:)

5/17/2008 12:02:40 AM: Snapshot stored, 108.5 MB

5/17/2008 12:03:03 AM: Comparing HP_PAVILION (C:)

Decompression failed due to corrupt input data

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\{87EBFA7C-0AB6-48D3-B4F7-C3E32A3FF2FA}\ItsDeductible10.msi": didn't compare

File "C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\guitar tips members area download\video\fingerstretching.flv": didn't compare

File "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avg75f_523a1293.exe": didn't compare

File "C:\Program Files\PDFCreator\GS8.54\gs8.54\Resource\CMap\UniKS-UTF16-H": didn't compare

File "C:\WINDOWS\NtServicePackUninstall\certcli.dll": didn't compare

File "C:\WINDOWS\NtUninstallKB918899\dxtrans.dll": didn't compare

File "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\127384.msp": didn't compare

File "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\163958.msp": didn't compare

Bad Backup Set header found (0xc009e801 at 30,509,105)

File "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\4790f.msp": didn't compare

5/17/2008 1:50:31 AM: 17 execution errors

Remaining: 1 files, 18.4 MB

Completed: 115576 files, 33.5 GB, with 4% compression

Performance: 319.8 MB/minute (320.3 copy, 319.3 compare)

Duration: 03:40:51 (00:06:22 idle/loading/preparing)

The only change was the changing of the verification.

What does it look like?

Thanks

Jim

I think you are having either a device communication problem or a problem reading from the source disk.

You can download the beta version of Retro 7.5. If fixes the known compare errors bug, but I don't think it will help in your case.

Run disk check on the source disk. Maybe change the backup drive's connection cable.

Thanks for helping with this.

I ran chkdsk all ok

I ran WD utility that checks drive condition all ok

I put a new cable on

Ran another recycle backup and had 7 errors all say did not match MD5

I assume these are do not compare errors?

Should I try that beta software? Are there any known bugs in it?

Thanks

Jim

I would try doing a backup to a different destination to see if you get errors for the same files. If it always happens to the same files, then Retrospect is having trouble reading those files. Try using thorough verification to see what errors are displayed.

I tried the backup to the internal drive as a test as this would not be viable to use as the destination. The backup completed with no errors.

I have 5 external hard drives. I have one that was used once for editing and not since. I even formatted that drive and it checked out perfect. It has a new cable so I used it to try another backup using thorough verification. It ended with 11 errors all did not compare errors.

This rules out hard drive problems as I have now tried 3 different externals and they all gave the same problem. This leaves a problem with Retrospect properly using the USB port for an external device.

DO you feel the beta will address this problem? What do you think, I cant come up with any other explanation.

The Hard drives all work great as I use them for video editing and they all handle large files and many files also. No different than the backup. If they were a problem I would have errors with my videos and I do not have trouble at all. Editing video is one of the most demanding jobs a hard drive can perform. I am confident my drives are fine.

Do you have any other suggestions?

This leaves a problem with Retrospect properly using the USB port for an external device.

Retrospect products ship with 100,000's, maybe even millions of USB hard disks from vendors like Maxtor, Lacie and WD. If Retrospect had a problem with USB, then this forum would be flooded with 1000's of customer posts about USB problems.

Retrospect doesn't know what a USB hard disk is. Retrospect never talks directly to your hard disk. Retrospect sends commands to the file system. The file system, then handles the copying of the data.

You probably have a bad USB port or a USB connection problem. Try removing all but 1 USB hard disk and try again. Make sure it is directly connected and not using a hub. Try a different USB port. Try a different USB cable. Try your drive on another computer.

I too thought of USB port problems but gave that up since I have no trouble, receive no errors when using my video editor. I use all external drives as work and storage drives for editing. Would you not agree that if the USB port was an issue I would have problems with my editing work?

I have 6 USB ports on this computer and will try a rear port. The rears are connected to their own input on this motherboard. I hope this will verify if the ports are an issue as I always use the front ports (2) for all editing and back up work.

Please understand I am not looking to find blame I just want to get this figured out so I will have a good backup.

I appreciate all your help.

I will let you know how this turns out using the rear port.

It is possible for a backup to push more data over the port for a longer period of time, resulting in an eventual failure you may not see at other times. I don't know if this is the real cause of your failure, just a guess.

USB ports (especially on Dell systems) can be really flakey and "go bad".

I tried the backup using a rear port and I got 7 do not compare errors. I think I will try the beta version and see if that helps.

I have a HP Multi Media system and since I do not have any problems with my editing work I still feel my USB ports are working.

I may be wrong so I will try the beta software and see if that helps.

I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks

I am stumped. I could not find the beta software. I have tried everything. I wanted to try it one last time. I did something for no real reason. I unplugged my network wire to the router. I then did another backup just as I have been doing it. My results, perfect, no errors.

How can that effect it? I do not know but it worked. Does this make any sense?

I tried it a second time and it worked again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks