Windows XP SP-3 Causes Clients Not To Be Seen???

FuzzyJohn

I Have Retrospect Professional v7 on a Windows XP machine and a Retrospect Client on a Windows 98 machine. Up until yesterday I had no problems backing up the XP machine and volumes on the 98 machine via the client.

Yesterday I installed Windows XP SP-3. Also yesterday I changed the IP addressing on the network.

Today when I attempted to run Retrospect Professional it cannot find the client on the 98 machine unless I turn the Windows Firewall off. I did set exemtions in the Windows Firewall for port 497 TCP and UDP but that didn't help. The exemptions were not there before SP-3 and everything worked.

If I use Direct Access it will see the client, but the client is on a DHCP workstation. I can work around that but I prefer to use multicast for detecting clients.

Is there anything new that EMC knows relating to Windows XP SP-3?.

Sounds like you are blocking either UDP packets or subnet broadcast or multicast. You need to make sure all of these are open, not just the port.

What is your exact Retrospect version? 7.0 has not been tested with XP SP3

The exact version is 7.0.344.

Adding Retrospect to the Windows Firewall did the trick. :banana:

I guess (again) that this was introduced by XP SP-3 as until today I did not have ports 497 TCP and 497 UDP and Retrospect in the Windows Firewall Exceptions. Also, even though the FAQ say that "If you install Retrospect 7.x or the Retrospect 7.x Client software on a PC running Service Pack 2, the install process will open the necessary network ports. No additional action should be required" it did not do so. But it worked on XP SP-2.