xp crashes on 6.5 backup after hdd change

mm61

Immediately after upgrading my HDD and moving my entire drive from the old smaller (30GB) drive to the new larger (320GB) drive, I am unable to backup using Retrospect Pro 6.5.

The move of the entire system from the one drive to the other seemed to work fine. Everything else on my system performs as before. The only issue is the backup. I was able to backup before I upgraded the HDD. But since I didn’t try another backup immediately after, I didn’t notice this issue. I cleaned the old HDD, so I can’t go back even if I wanted to. But since everything except the backup works, I don’t want to go back anyway.

When I try to perform a backup, the programs begins, and when it starts to build the catalog it immediately crashes the system and re-boots.

Anyone have any idea on this?

Thanks, mark

---------------------

I’m running

Windows XP

Retrospect 6.5

AMD Athlon 64 4000

2GB DDR RAM

What HDD did you upgrade? The backup destination disk or the source?

A crash that causes a restart sounds like a BSD crash. Retrospect can not cause a BSD and could be a sign of a problem with the new hardware configuration. Retrospect could be triggering the crash, because we are the only program accessing the disk using some specific file system command.

Hi,

I'm experiencing a very similar problem since replacing my HDD. I've been successfully using Retrospect OEM Express v7.5.387 for many months to backup to my Western Digital NetCenter.

Two weeks ago the 200GB Maxtor HDD in my PC started to fail. I cloned the contents to a new 250GB Maxtor Disk using Maxblast and disconnected the old drive.

After that when the scheduled Retrospect backup jobs ran they failed with error message 1102. I discovered that the source drives were offline (presumably because they still pointed to the old disk) and so a recreated the backup jobs so that the source volumes picked up the new HDD.

However, now whenever I try to run the backup scripts, they start and then immediately the PC screen goes blank and the PC reboots.

What should I do to fix this?

System is:- Windows XP Pro SP3, 2GB RAM

TIA

If you used a cloning program like TrueImage then there can be a known issue which causes the Microsoft VSS (Volume Shadow Service) to fail when Retrospect starts to use VSS. Have a look at this link, it solved a long ongoing issue for me after I had replaced a laptop hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=563391#post563391

Stephen Ord

If you used a cloning program like TrueImage then there can be a known issue which causes the Microsoft VSS (Volume Shadow Service) to fail when Retrospect starts to use VSS. Have a look at this link, it solved a long ongoing issue for me after I had replaced a laptop hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=563391#post563391

Stephen Ord

Stephen,

Many thanks for the link. FYI, I had used Maxblast_5 to clone the disk.

I've now run MbrFix as per the instructions on the forum, and Retrospect is running as I write.

Kind regards,

Chris.