Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi, I recently bought a Seagate External portable hard drive, the drive didn't include a backup software. They suggested using Bounceback Express software, I went to the site to download it and its not compatible with Windows ME and they don't offer older versions. Anyway I have Maxtor one touch external drive that I used in the past that used Retrospect 5.6. My question is can I use this Retrospect software for my external Seagate? If so how do I set it up?

Thanks

Thanks Robin, is their any specific things I need to do, right now my Maxtor drive is disconnected and the Retrospect software is still on my pc. Should I uninstall and reinstall the software so that it will recognize the new drive. What aseeting do I need to change, its been awhile since I set up the Maxtor and it was easy to use press the drive button and the software automatically came up. The Seagate has no button to press, it just plugs into my usb port and it on. Any setup instructions will help!

Thanks

Hi Robin, I just read the instructions over lunch and have 1 question on step 4 when it asks for you to select storage type, I'm not sure what to select, its an external drive I will be backing to, I don't see external drive as an option, any suggestions?

Hi Robin, I followed the instructions and went to run the backup, I started the backup and was 15 minutes into the backup and an error message popped up. "Trouble writing media, Seagate Backup Set A, error - 102.

I checked the cables and everything was in correctly, only connection is usb to computer and other end to the drive. I tried rerunning it again and this time the error popped up with a few minutes. Any suggestions??

Ok I'll give this a try, I'll try a different usb port, the cable they supplied has a usb on one end but the cable connection to the drive is not usb. I already tried reformating the hard drive and this didn't work.

Let my try the other usb port and I'll let you know if this does the trick.

Thanks

Hi Robin I tried changing the cable to a different usb port and reformatting and no luck.

I went back and made a change to the name of the backup set, originally I had "Seagate Backup Set A" and changed it to just "Backup Set A" and this looks like this was the problem. I backed up a few files as a test and it backed up without a problem. I guess you could change the backup name after the fact. So it looks like I'm in business!

Thanks for your help.