Sign in to follow this  
readwrite

Restore To ReadyNAS 1100

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating Retrospect Multi Server which we are looking at for backing up laptops and also replacing our Arcserve server backup solution. We plan to setup a proactive backup to backup the laptops to a ReadyNAS 1100 and back the servers up to a tape library.

Part of the testing has involved tested a restore to a ReadyNAS 1100 box. When I run the restore, the log file fills up with ‘can't write, error -1001 (unknown Windows OS error) MapError: unknown Windows error 282’ for each file I try to restore. The restore never completes and fails after restoring 3.4GB out of 8.7GB. Do you know what is causing this problem ?

The backup is a partial backup of a netapps filer. I've restored it successfully to the local disk on the Windows 2003 server I'm running Retrospect from so I know the backup is good.

Any idea's

I have not seen this error with the ReadyNAS. What does the ReadyNAS Tech Support say about the issue?

Was the data originally backed up from the ReadyNAS?

Which restore methods are you using?

The error is being reported by Windows/ReadyNAS when Retrospect attempts to write the file to the disk. The error could be caused by a simple permissions issue when writing the file.

I've not raised this with ReadyNAS yet, thought you might know what the error message mean't.

The data was backed up from a Netapps NAS Filer using Retrospect. I'm trying a restore to the ReadyNAS box.

I'm restoring to folder on the ReadyNAS box which I have configured the permissions for. I've tried not restoring NTFS permissions and get the same problem. I've also tried both 'files and folders' and 'volume' restore options

The ReadyNAS is a linux based OS.

I suspect that this is a file translation issue between what was backed up on the Netapps and how the Readynas saves data.

I would restore to a windows disk, backup the data again and then restore to the ReadyNAS. This might be a good test to try and understand the failure.

I think you maybe right, a backup of a folder on the ReadyNAS and then a restore to another folder on the ReadyNAS works fine.

I restore of the Netapps backup to a Windows disk also works fine.

I will try backing up the Windows disk and restoring to the ReadyNAS

Problem restoring a Windows file system backup to the ReadyNAS also, same error mesaage. The log does say the ReadyNAS does not support extended file attributes.

What happens if you drag and drop these items from Windows to the Ready NAS? Do you get an error message?

What is your exact Retrospect version and driver update version?

Is it also failing when copying data that did not originate on the Netapps disk?

We have done a lot of testing with this hardware, and I have not seen this error.

We are running v7.5.508 with Driver / Hotfix update 7.5.14.102 its Multi server limited time license

I've just backed up another folder on the Windows server I'm running Retrospect on (not originating from the netapps filer) and restored to the ReadyNas box. This time I'm getting 'can't write, error -1101 (file/directory not found) being logged in the log file although the files seem to be restored OK.

I've also tried restoring from our old Arcserve server (netapps backup) to the ReadyNas box, this works OK, however arcserve logs a 'The mounted File System does not support extended atrributes' error for every file it restores

Does Retrospect abort the restore when the log gets to a certain size ?

I can cut and pass the log into a text file and send to you if this helps.

Thanks

I would suggest calling support. Trials get free support. 800-225-4880. They can probably figure things out faster then trying to answer in the forum. Not real sure yet why it keeps failing.