moved backup destination/move backed files

smiguel

hello all, i am a really newbie to retrospect and the company i work for has used for about some 5years. So everything has been set up and is working fine. But recently i added a new back- up volume and forgot to compress the data so now my disk space is very low (5mb) and so i moved about 4 other volumes to our second hard drive. Now how do i also move the old backed up files to the new destination? I already re-routed the Proactive Backup info...

any help is really helpful. thanks.

p.s. - im using version 7.5 on windows XP

p.s. - im using version 7.5 on windows XP

Mayoff can you move to the Windows Pro section?

smiguel, were these 4 volumes sharing one backup set with the other 10?

If so Than you can use the "Transfer Snapshots" option in tools section of the sidebar.

This lets you transfer over certain parts of one backup set to another.

ok well get this:

i have had low disk for almost a month now and it hasnt backed up all the computers since 3/20...thats bad! any help as what to do? for now i dont want to duplicate or move any other volumes to other hard drives. Is there a way to compress that data or continue to a second hardrive?

what about if i want to delete old back-ups

This is what I was trying to explain how to do. forget the unwanted snapshots, than groom out the data. This will make more room in the HDD. If I were you I would try this first.

Is there a way to compress that data

You have the option to compress data when you backup, make sure to select options and check the "Data Compression (in software)" In your case it is i believe it is too late for that.

or continue to a second hardrive?

When the disk backup set is full it should automatically ask for a new volume to use as the next member. Its as simple as selecting disk and clicking OK.

-jeff

well good news, some of the computers got backed up but a couple didnt. There were 2 that were setup wrong, but i fixed. But also there is one that didnt back up. it had the same settings/script as the other ones that worked. any reasons why it didn't? the hardrive is 98% free

Simiguel,

We have moved quite far away from the original thread topic "moved backup destination/move backed files". If you are still having these problems you should start a new thread. Be sure to include information about the how your scripts are set up, any errors you get in the operation log, and client info, and maybe your system info.

Thanks,

-Jeff

If I understand correctly than the client is using the same backup set that you added a member too. If the other scripts are working and this one is failing than this is no longer about the new or "moved" backup-set, but about your script configuration or client's connectivity.

If it is using the same backup-set than this problem should be looked at as though you never had problems with your backup set, and thus a new thread would be nice :)

A couple of things to try...

Check that you are connected to the client properly, you can go to configure>clients> click "add..." scroll to the client that isn't working (even if it is already "added") click on it and hit test. Or you can go into the properties and see if you can look into the volumes tab, which is essentially testing your connectivity.

If you do have a connection, try a manual backup using the client as a source, and the new member of the backup set as the destination. If this works, than you can be quite certain that your script is incorrectly configured.

Double check your script to make certain that it is set to the correct backup-set, options, and schedule for the scripts that.