Express HD wakes up every 5 minutes

IanHamilton

It seems that every 5 minutes or so, Express HD wakes up (but does not display any windows) and grabs focus. This is very annoying if you don't notice it and all your keystrokes disappear into the never never (or at least end up in Express where most of them will get ignored)

What with this and the GUI update problem, it's beginning to look like I will drop this product. A shame because it works just the way I want

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can either delete the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\RetroExpress

or better still, use the sysinternals 'autoruns' utility to disable it which will enable you to restore it if required.

As it turns out, I was wrong above in that I thought that I had to kill Retrospect after it had scheduled a run but as it turns out, it terminates after the run so really this particular issue for me has gone away.

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently installed Retrospect Express HD, which came with my new network-connect backup drive. The loss of focus every few minutes while I am working is more than a nuisance, and forced me to spend valuable time searching for the cause.

If this is a known bug, please advise when it will be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

To add to my previous post above:

I am doing development in an application environment which uses DirectX and some Flash components. When I am in test mode the whole system is rather sensitive to interruptions, and I find that the Retrospect Express HD always bounces me out of simulated executions.

This is not acceptable.

Are we going to get any kind of response from EMC?

Oh, my apologies! That was an official response?

What I was hoping for was something useful, like when it was planned to fix this problem, or a work-around. So far I have not been able to find anything like that on the web site.

I will try to find a way to contact EMC directly.

The simple alternative will be to purchase another product, but I hoped it would not come to that.

Oh, my apologies! That was an official response?

What I was hoping for was something useful, like when it was planned to fix this problem, or a work-around. So far I have not been able to find anything like that on the web site.

I will try to find a way to contact EMC directly.

The simple alternative will be to purchase another product, but I hoped it would not come to that.

I think that you may misunderstand. These forums are not the official way to communicate with or obtain EMC support. These forums are primarily user-to-user support. See:

Retrospect Forum Rules / Terms of Use

I'm just a user like you are. Here's the contact info for EMC Retrospect support:

Contact EMC Retrospect Support

Hope this helps,

Russ

• 4 months later...

Does this issue still exist? A couple weeks ago I installed the new updated and recommended version 2.5 (2.5.113) that was posted 2008-08-25 and have been trying since that time to determine why I'm experiencing this active window problem. Was this latest version compiled with this same GUI issue? The original 2.0 version that came on CD with my Western Digital My Book World Edition didn't experience this problem.

This is obviously an issue with a scheduled process taking control of the active window when it should be running in the background. It should be fairly easy to fix by deselecting that process from going to the foreground in the user interface development tool being used.

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...

Based on the time that has elapsed with no communications, it doesn't appear EMC any schedule or priority on when they are going to address this problem. I'm glad that I didn't purchase the software (it came with a drive I purchase) and then see no efforts made to resolve issues. However, short of this issue, the software does appear to be doing what it's supposed to.

I've avoided this issue and continued to use the software by following the tip IanHamilton pointed out in this thread by simply exiting from the Retrospect GUI after a system reboot. There are still Retrospect.exe and retrorun.exe processes that follow the schedule and perform backups, it's just that you don't have any confirmation back from the GUI on how they run. I make a point to look at my backup destination directory every so often to see if new .RDB files are present and roughly the size I would expect each day that backup should run. When you manually start the GUI to do a restore or make a change, you may get a message back stating the backup failed. The running services must drop a status file somewhere that is picked up by the GUI when it's run again. I've done individual file restores from Retrospect running in this manner for the past couple months now and it appears to be working okay.

• 1 month later...

This background seizure of resources makes ongoing backups all but impossible. For EMC,is this a refundable issue? I bought HD Express only a few months ago. My workaround is to officially Remove the entire program program and reinstall to make manual backups. But that's not what the product promises.

Please adivse what alternative products you find easier or more reliable. Many thanks

• 3 months later...