-36 Error after moving to a new Mac

Hey all, I've got a really strange problem. I just moved Retrospect (4.3) to a new Mac (a G4/533) and now I keep getting "Couldn't write Snapshot, error -36 (i/o error, bad media)" errors during the backup. I get it from every remote client and from the local volume. Anybody have any clues? I've swapped back in the original system and am currently banging my head on this. Thanks, Jason

--

Jason Forbes

Network Manager, University Communications

University of Colorado at Boulder

584 UCB, 80309-0584

Phone: (303) 735-3626

A media problem occurred on a source volume. Try verifying your source volume using a disk

utility or the formatting program that came with your hard drive. Try using the test command in its included Drive Setup utility. The Disk First Aid utility usually is not helpful in this case because it only checks for directory problems.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem. After trying 3 new hard disks and getting the same error every time I figured there was no way my luck could be THAT bad. Either Retrospect is the most disk-sensitive software in the world or something else was causing the error. I had a wild hair to try reformatting the disk with an alternative disk utility instead of Apple's Drive Setup. I used LaCie Silverlining. I didn't install SCSI Probe and all that other nonsense. I just formatted the drive from the utility on the CD. It worked. No more -36 errors. All I can figure is that there's some compatibility problem between Retrospect and Apple's hard disk drivers. It's been a very long, frustrating process so I hope this works for others too.

• 2 weeks later...

In reply to:

All I can figure is that there's some compatibility problem between Retrospect and Apple's hard disk drivers.

Drives should always be formatted with the software that is recommended by the vendor of the drive. LaCie drives need to be formatted with SilverLining.

Retrospect does not have any direct access to hard drives - all access is done through the Operating System. Error -36 is generated by the OS. If a drive is not formatted according to the manufacturers suggestions, communication problems can certainly occur.

Archived