Can't backup Iomega NAS. error -1017 insufficient permissions

cgiandomenico

I am attempting to backup an Iomega NAS model: "Home Network Hard Drive" with Retrospect 7.5. This NAS uses an unknown operating system and the drive is formatted as FAT32. The NAS is part of a windows Workgroup. Retrospect 7.5 is able to preview the contents of NAS volumes from within the Immediate Backup pane. I have tried using all reasonable automatic logon credentials including: nothing, Administrator, Local User, & the NAS Administrator. The backup is failing with an error -1017. The details are shown below. I haven't loaded any backup client software on the NAS. It doesn't have an interface to permit program installation. The Iomega NAS came with Retrospect Express HD 2.0 and I have successfully backed it up using this software. I had assumed if a cut down version of Retrospect worked with this NAS my Retrospect Professional would too...

Does anyone have any thought about what might be happening and how to fix it?

+ Retrospect version 7.5.508

Launched at 3/24/2008 10:22 AM in user account WELLREAD3\Administrator

+ Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.5.13.100

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 3/24/2008 10:24 AM

To Backup Set junk...

- 3/24/2008 10:24:54 AM: Copying Pictures on Iomega500

Can't initialize Snapshot file, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

3/24/2008 10:24:55 AM: Execution incomplete

Duration: 00:00:00

I didn't think this document applied because I had configured the NAS to allow complete access to all Workgroup members without passwords. However, I also experimented with share permissions and learned something. (Note, this NAS is very basic, it only supports share-level protection with only two access states: Full Access/No Access.) When I assigned password protection to a share I was able to produce the -1017 error in Retrospect by suppling an incorrect username & password when prompted while making a subvolume. I could access the subvolume by supplying the correct credentials. I could also access any subvolume without supplying credentials if the share was not password protected.

Next I setup an Immediate Backup and entered the correct login credentials in the "Enter network password" automatic login dialog. I also set up Retrospect to startup under my account which is able to access the NAS shares. I checked the automatic login properties of the backup set which is located on my local hard drive. These properties were greyed out. I think this covers all three login aspects covered by the document.

I ran the immediate backup and got the same error as before: Can't initialize Snapshot file, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

Windows XP SP2. I have resolved the 1017 error issue. While I do not know the exact cause I believe it was related to some modifications I made to my system that were unrelated to retrospect. While investigating the problem I discovered that regedit could not export registry keys. The solution I found was:

(1) Restore Windows using an image file (not made with retrospect).

(2)Restore using retrospective to a recent time point when both retrospect and regdedit worked.

I can now backup my local drive and my NAS without incurring any 1017 errors.

Thank-you for your follow-up.