Configuring DVD Media in new iMac 2.4 GHz

I just bought a new iMac 2.4 Ghz with pre-installed Leopard. I can't configure any DVD (-R or +R) media in Retrospect with the internal SuperDrive. I hear the drive working on the DVD for 1 or 2 minutes, then it stops and the beach ball begins to roll endlessly. I have waited for hours without success. I have used the software for 15 years at least so I know it well.

-iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz, Mac OS 10.5.2

-Retrospect 6.1.138

What Retrospect Driver Update (RDU) are you using? (see the Retrospect logs)

What type of SuperDrive do you have? (provide info from Apple System Profiler, and also from Retrospect's Configure > Devices)

What type of media are you using?

As a comment, I have also been using Retrospect for over 15 years. However, Retrospect today is a lot more fragile than it was 15 years ago.

Russ

DRIVER: 6.1.13.101 - SUPERDRIVE: MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-875 - MEDIA: I tried both TDK DVD+R and TDK DVD-R, but usually "+R" works.

RDU 6.1.13.101 (like RDU 6.1.12.101 before it) has a bug/feature such that use of DVD-R media is broken.

RDU 6.1.11.101 does not have this bug/feature.

The RDU version history, with release notes for various versions and download links for the various versions, is here:

RDU Version History

There doesn't seem to be any support for your UJ-875 drive in any of the RDU versions - Retrospect support for optical drives seems to take at least a year, if ever, to happen. I'd suggest falling back to RDU 6.1.11.101 (less buggy) and trying a manual configure (only if your drive is an unsupported drive). RDU 6.1.11.101 will work with +R or -R. Sure you don't have a typo in your drive model, and that it's not the UJ-857 ? That's a supported drive, and wouldn't need manual configuration - if you have a supported drive, with Retrospect quit, move the .rdi file in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect to your Desktop (so Retrospect can't find it, and so you can restore it if the driver parameters don't work) and give it a try. That will remove the results of your manual configuration attempts, and will cause the RDU to use its internal parameters.

see if this helps.

Russ

I tried your solutions, changing the RDU to 6.1.11.101, the error message is Retrospect can't configure Media. I also moved the .rdi files, launched and retried with the same results, with DVD-R and DVD+R. It works on my 3 other Macs at the office, all of different models. I relied on this software for backup since now, what will I do for backup at home?

• 2 weeks later...

Bonjour,

Before I read your post, I just got the new driver, RDU 6.1.14.101, installed it, and the drive was instantly recognized, without having inserted any media. The strange thing is that the window displays a PANASONIC Drive instead of the MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-875 viewed in the Mac System Informations. I understand MATSHITA is a Panasonic product.

I used DVD+R successfully. Do you know what is the difference between the 2 media?

Thanks for your help.

Here's a fun tidbit: "MATSHITA" is short for Matsushita (pronounced "Matshsushta"), which is essentially the real Japanese company name for Panasonic. They have to abbreviate in the SCSI inquiry string because there's only 8 characters reserved for the Vendor ID string.