Strange Error and Failed BU

bhunted

Hi Folks....

I have a problem that seems very strange.

First, my system(s) and setup:

Main Machine:

- Intel Based

- Latest updated Vista Ultimate

- Latest version of Retrospect 7.5 Pro Installed

- 4 gigs of ram

- 1 terabyte of HD storage

Second Machine:

- Intel Based

- Latest update Windows XP Home

- Latest version of Retrospect 7.5 Client Installed

- 1 gig of ram

- 100 gig of HD storage

Storage Device:

- My Essentials II Western Digital 500gig (partitioned 250x2) plugged into my Linksys WRT350N Router

- Main machine backs to one partition XP to the other partition

Scenario:

I have Retro setup to do a file backup of the main at 1AM and the client at 4AM.

This entire script was setup and ran previous attended and it completed without a glitch.

However, when the times hit to do the scheduled back up, I end up finding the 1AM backup executed and never backed up anything and the 4AM backup which has minimal files, is still hanging at 630AM... I have to start Retro manually, stop the events manually and start them manually in order for them to complete.

In order to stop the script I have to end it via the Task Manager because it just hangs when trying to shut down.

I've also started getting some strange Interactive Services popups..

See attached.

While this error does not indicate it was generated by Retro, it never happened prior to me installing Retro.

Looking at the Event Manager, there are no indications of Retro having problems. This whole thing is very strange.

Any help would be appreciated. I find Retro to be a very thorough software as I have used it on other machines in the past. However, this install has me scratching my head big time.

Thanks in advance.

Any other suggestions? Last nights backup just sat there again in the ready state. At 1AM, it started to prepare the script and start it's first copy after the scan and just stopped there. This morning, same thing. I had to interupt it and stop it from being in the execute state.

This is frustrating...

The screen showed it was getting ready to start copying the first set of files and it was "just stopped there"... It never moved from that point. There was no popup requesters, no errors, nothing. Just holted there. Again, I ran it manually and it was fine. I'm trying another experiment tonight, but I'm still baffled. We'll see I guess.

Pretty much the same thing. I unplugged it last night and plugged it into the main puter where Retro resides. re-pointed it to the new drive paths and same thing this morning. Only difference was that it didn't hang when I tried to reopen Retro, when it tells you, you can only open one instance. When you say yes, it now gracefully ends the routine and opens a fresh copy of Retro and it commences normally.

Let me see what happens tonite and I'll report back.

The only thing I can determine so far is its a weird bug. When first setting up the script, you tell it where to go but it seems like it doesn't know.

This morning the backup completed with one error. It couldn't write a snapshot because it said it was write protected. Don't understand that. I didn't do it.

Other thing this morning. When I was exiting the program, I had it check the media for the next session. It reported it was not ready and it would write or erase whatever was there. That seems strange, because I made sure they all had destination paths.

Which reminds me. In the wizard when youenter the path for the destination, why would it not use it?

Also, I am now getting Interactive Message popups. Supposedly due to software not being 100% Vista compatible. Is there something that needs to be corrected for that? Unless it's confused, because the Client is on an XP machine and the main is on Vista... any thoughts?

Thanks...

- 3/23/2008 2:26:03 AM: Copying Weatherlink on WXSYSTEM

Can't save Snapshot in Sunday A, error -1103 (write protected)

3/23/2008 2:26:45 AM: Comparing Weatherlink on WXSYSTEM

3/23/2008 2:26:54 AM: 1 execution errors

Completed: 241 files, 31.2 MB, with 42% compression

Performance: 155.7 MB/minute (124.5 copy, 233.6 compare)

Duration: 00:00:51 (00:00:26 idle/loading/preparing)

The media request screenshot is coming up because the 1st member of the backup set has been marked as skip or missing or the media was full. Retrospect needs a 2nd disk to continue.

The catalog error could be happening due to a corrupt catalog file, and a catalog rebuild might be needed. Otherwise you may have a permission issue on the drive containing the catalog.

- Did a rebuild, no errors.

- Media can't be full... there is a fresh 250megs available.

The drive is the same as it was when we started. It's an external drive that works fine as a standalone hooked up via USB to my main puter.

OK, I opened up the backup sets screen. There were quite a few sets in there. Prob all since I started. But I thought if I deleted the scripts, removed them from the catalog files and from the actual desitnation device, tehy'd be gone.

I removed them all except for the current ones.

Now when I exit, I have it check the media... It says the following. See attachments.

Is that normal until the first one is created?

They are set for 7 day backups.

OK, last night seemed to have gone ok after I did all I stated above. Still left with 1 error though. Everyone once in awhile, it says it can't write a snapshot because write protection. Yet, all the file attributes are the same.

Any thoughts about why?

As for all the other scenarios. I don't understand when I try to run the 7 day or multiple day scripts, they fail to find the destinations...

Thanks...

Not sure exactly what you mean. I'm backing up certain whole directories. Grroming... if you mean like keep certain amount of sets. I think it's set to 10... but it would have to go a long way to reach that based on space.

Any ideas about that write protection part?

Thanks for your help so far.