open file backup with vista

We have a Win2003 server with single licence retrospect 7.5 running and a open file backup add-on licence. We've recently had a number of vista laptops added to our network but none of them seem to be able to work with open file backup. I get the following error: error -1017 (insufficient permissions) and have read the kb on it and have checked the windows event log on one of the laptops (running vista business) but the laptop does not show any errors with VSS during the time when the backup was scheduled. Does anyone have any suggestions about what else I can do?

I have checked both those logs and there are no errors.

We have one HP machine and two dell machines exhibiting the same problems. The only common software that would be installed would be MS Office, Vista (in different flavours) and the Retrospect client.

We have exactly the same environment and since there are Vista Business SP1 notebooks (32-bit) in the network (without VSS errors), after each backup of a vista client, there is always the same error message:

Can't use Open File Backup option for System (C:) on ......, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

Edited by Guest

I can't recreate these errors with Vista 32bit SP1. I have tried backing up full system locally, and through a client and have not received this OFB error.

What version of retrospect are you using? You may want to download the Retrospect 7.5.512 beta and see if that changes anything.Are there other computers running Vista that are receiving that error, or is it just the notebooks? Carlab, you mentioned you were using win 2k3SE, are you using that as well vonarb?

Maybe some of you out there that are having this problem could give me some suggestions of what environments to try, until we can actually recreate this error there isn't too much we can do.

Thanks a lot for your input, I hope that we can resolve the issue for you soon.

-Jeff

Currently only a handful of our notebooks are running Vista since they came pre-installed. All our existing PC's and notebooks run XP and have not had any problems. Some of our notebooks are backed up overnight when the user is logged off (which means no programs are running) and the problem still exists.

My notebook is a HP notebook running Vista Business 32-bit (no sp1), and Retrospect Client v7.5.116. I run the AVG free version of anti-virus software and windows defender.

On the Win2k3SE server with sp2 installed, there is a single server license for Retrospect running v7.5.251 and the notebook is backed up to a HDD on another computer in the network. The server runs symantec anti-virus.

On the Win2k3SE server with sp2 installed, there is a single server license for Retrospect running v7.5.251

carlab,

Retrospect version 7.5.251 does not support Vista. Support for Vista was added with the 7.5.387 update. Our current release is 7.5.508. You can download this from our website.

http://www.emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/updates/

There is also a Beta available, version 7.5.512 if you are still having issues.

Hope this helps

-Jeff