Trouble with E-Mail Notifications

rbgatti

I have been using 7.0 for some time with never a problem. Within the past week, e-mail notifications are not being received. The operations log displays:

"E-mail notification failed: error -519 (network communication failed)"

Literally, no changes have been made to anything and this stopped working.

The operating system is XP SP2, all updates. I am also running NAV 2007 (14.0.4.1). I'm only mentioniong this in case someone knows of a recent security update that may be effecting this type of communications.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I agree something is blocking Retrospect's attempt to send e-mail...here's what I tried and know so far...

- I tried turning off NAV and also individually turned off mail scanning and WORM protection. The only change in results is the error message changing from "E-mail notification failed: error -519 (network communication failed)" to "E-mail notification failed: error -519 (invalid e-mail address)".

- The PC has been restarted many times for related and unrelated reasons with no impact on the problem.

- Symantec initially admitted during an online chat with Tech Support that a recent NAV update would impact other applications like Retrospect from these types of communications however as stated above, disabling it had no effect. They also mentioned that the newer version (NAV 2008) would "fix this" but I have no proof this is true.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated...thanks!

Robin, thanks for the advice...your suggestion led me to being able to fix the problem myself.

The default mail "from" field under mail preferences was always set to "Retrospect Backup Application" from the original install. My mail server (Yahoo!) is now verifying this field to ensure it is a valid e-mail address. This value obviously was not. I changed it my my actual e-mail address and presto...notifications are now working again.

The extended debug information in the operations log helped me discover this.

It had nothing do to with software on my desktop!

Thanks again for your help.