Slow Backup Speeds XSR to Tape

I am running the latest version of Retrospect and and backing up some DAS Xserve raids directly to an LTO 224 fibre drive. All connected to fibre on the same server. Speed tests on the XSR itself show 70000k to 80000k write speeds.

My server is a 2x2 GHX Dual-Core Xeon 2GB of ram. 10.4.11. I started a backup to tape and was getting speeds of 80 MB/min. I updated the firmware and hard coded all fw interfaces to 2gb. I am now averaging 500 MB/min. My speeds should be 1200 to 1300 MB/min. Any suggestion on how to speed this up? I was getting the same 80 MB/min speed when backing up to a file on a lacie 2tb FW800 drive.

This server is the main afp/smb share point btw.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Thomas

This article is for PCI-X cards. Is it safe to assume issues with pci-e intel machines?

Is it safe to assume that this is a PCI-e LSI card rather than a PCI-X card in a PCI-e adapter, or a PCI-e card in a PCI-X slot? You don't say, and have not provided any info about the card other than the manufacturer.

Do you have some more complete information, such as from Apple System Profiler?

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Ok some more information here. The 2 fibre cards i have installed are lsi7204ep and lsi7404ep. These are PCI-E cards on an intel box.

We have upgraded to leopard to prevent this issue and all writes to tape result in a kernel panic.

We have 2 other clients with the same known slowness. One is a G5 server with PCIX FC card.

Not sure what else to do. The client has asked us to look into other Vendors if this issue doesn't get resolved soon. We are now completely unable to backup to tape.

Thank You,

Thomas

Kernel panics are almost always hardware based, and not software. Retrospect itself can not cause a kernel panic.

We went to the Apple labs recently and found that most Fibre channel performance issues are fixed in Leopard. We successfully tested the LSI 929X/LSI 7202XP

Testing did show a problem hang with the LSI 7204EP. I would suggest trying the LSI 929X/LSI 7202XP cards

• 5 months later...

We are having similar problems with an Xserve G5 (intel) with the LSI logic SCSI card. Where does one find what model SCSI card? I am looking in System Profiler but am not seeing any of the models you described.

Was anyone able to get this resolved? We are trying to push 700GB onto a LTO3 tape drive and only getting 80-100MB per minute. Not good..

We are having similar problems with an Xserve G5 (intel) with the LSI logic SCSI card.

First, there is no such thing as an Intel Xserve G5. The Xserve G5 is a PowerPC processor, and does not have the Intel architecture of the current Xserves.

That said, The LSI Logic SCSI Card that Apple sells as its build-to-order dual-channel SCSI card is a piece of junk. If you look on the card, you will see that it's an LSI Logic 22320.

Been there, done that, with our Xserve G5. Never worked right with that card. Replaced it with an ATTO UL4D and all the problems went away.

Russ

Not an Apple fan, but thanks. It may or may not be a G5, but it does have an Intel processor. Either way, the backup software available is extremely limited compared to PC software.

Yes, it was the default SCSI card sold by Apple. One of the other factors I am noticing is that the DES encryption takes nearly twice as long as the Simplecrypt.