7.5.508 (and all versions prior) hanging at Preparing for Open File Backup

Hello,

I have a customer with Retrospect 7.5.x (currently she is running the latest .508) who has been plagued with an issue for many months. The problem is, during backup of the workstations, it will sometimes get hung up on "Preparing for Open File Backup" and just sit there ad infinitum. Never timing out, etc. In fact, Retrospect must be killed via Task Manager in order to break out of this- no amount of coaxing will get that script to terminate cleanly. I have tried all sorts of things relating to VSS (I know this is some sort of VSS problem, but the way that Retrospect deals with it is abysmal). I have downloaded all the hotfixes I could find and patched the client and server machines. I have made sure all client machines are up to date. The server is Windows Server 2003 and the clients are all XP SP2. I thought I had this one solved last time by installing some specific hotfixes: Microsoft KB940349 and KB925066, but alas it is still not working reliably. What can I do to troubleshoot this further or fix these issues?

I am having the same issue. I have a Windows XP box (with all updates and service packs) running the latest version of Retrospect Server (with ALL Add-ons) and I am experiencing the same issue. I have a Lacie 2TB External connect via FW800 and Every time I go to back up a client, THe systems simple hangs exactly where the previous poster reported.

Now I will say this, On other systems I've experienced hangs but it was solved by turning off system retore on the External. THat's not the case here.

Anyone with any info to why this is occurring, please let me know!