error -540 trouble creating server on ?linux?

I'm getting an "error -540 (trouble creating service)" when trying to backup a server running Redhat Enterprise Linux rel. 4.

Here is the clip from the log:

- 3/3/2008 7:07:23 PM: Copying /home on xxxx

While scanning volume home,

Folder /home/homes/engineering/xxx/.p...,

Scanning incomplete, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

Folder /home/homes/engineering/xxx/.p...,

Folder /home/homes/engineering/xxxx...,

File "/home/applesharefolder/graphics/graphics/JP's Folder/Compilations/90 Millas/04 Píntame De Colores.mp3": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

File "/home/applesharefolder/graphics/graphics/JP's Folder/Compilations/90 Millas/06 Yo No Cambiaría.mp3": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

File "/home/applesharefolder/graphics/graphics/JP's Folder/Compilations/90 Millas/07 Bésame.mp3": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

File "/home/applesharefolder/graphics/graphics/JP's Folder/Compilations/90 Millas/11 Volveré.mp3": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

File "/home/applesharefolder/graphics/graphics/show/?men'sbb640.jpg": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

Trouble reading files, error -540 (trouble creating service)

3/3/2008 7:16:01 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 1306194 files, 335.1 GB

Completed: 294 files, 83.2 MB

Performance: 85.9 MB/minute

Duration: 00:08:37 (00:07:39 idle/loading/preparing)

The particulars of my install:

Windows 2003 Server

Retrospect Multi Server v. 7.5.508

Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.5.13.100

We are running the Retrospect Client for Red Hat version 7.5.112

We actually have 3 different Linux servers all running the same Release of Redhat that have this problem. We also have run into the redhat client spamming "User Deferred", which we have solved by turning the client off and turning it back on.

Hopefully someone can help us with this issue, we are needing to spend some more money on our backup solution and being able to backup these linux servers is a requirement. If we can get retrospect to work we will buy another server version, but if we cannot get it to work we will have to look elsewhere for for a solution.

Thanks for any help!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for this AndrewA.

I SWEAR I searched for this error on the forums before posting and did not get the thread you linked as a result. Just so you know I wasn't being lazy.

Thank you again, I'm going to try the work around in that other thread.

• 4 weeks later...

A few weeks ago, EMC Insignia announced the Universal Client Beta #2 for Macintosh. Today this beta is being updated with a new beta version of the Retrospect for Windows Application. Universal Client Beta testers will want to replace 7.5.513 with this new update. Beta testers should continue to use 6.2.222 Client beta and Retrospect 6.1.222 Mac application data.

This beta update is version 7.5.516 for Windows and contains some important bug fixes for Windows users of Retrospect.

Changes Since 7.5.513 beta

-Fixed a "file didn't compare" error for .jpg and other image files.

-Fixed an MD5 verification error when spanning backup disks. Reported by Jason Z.

-Fixed a long standing -540 error with Linux Clients.

-Fixed a problem seeing mailboxes with two exchange servers in the same domain.

Changes Since Beta #1 or 7.5.508

-Fixed a hang when polling Exchange mailboxes

-Fixed a catalog out of sync error when adding members to a disk backup set

-Fixed a problem seeing multiple instances of SQL on the same computer

-Fixed a WMI Repository error when backing up Windows XP systems

This update does not require a RDU.rpx file. All prior RDU updates have been added to the 7.5.516 application

Download this beta from:

http://download.dantz.com/archives/beta/Retro_EN_7_5_516_1.exe

An FAQ document for this beta is found at:

http://forums.dantz.com/showpost.php?post/104247/

We're excited about our new features and hope you will test them, but please remember to put safety first. Although we have tested these features thoroughly, it is Beta software. Please do not rely on this release for your primary backups.

Reporting Bugs

BUG REPORTING

It is extremely important that you report any problems you find immediately. This ensures a final product release that best meets your needs. Please report all bugs on the Public Beta section of the Retrospect Forum.

Support for this beta product is NOT available by calling technical support. All support is handled via the forum. You will find the Forum at:

http://forums.dantz.com/showforum.php?fid/98/

Before you can post your issue to the forum, you must create a user account, if you don't already have one. New account registration can be found at:

http://forums.dantz.com/register.php?

Users with existing forum accounts can login at:

http://forums.dantz.com/login.php?

We're excited about our new features and hope you will test them, but please remember to put safety first. Although we have tested these features thoroughly, it is Beta software. Please do not rely on this release for your primary backups.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello,

I have just installed the Linux client (version 7.6.100) on a Fedora Core 10 machine and I am seeing this issue as well.

In the Event tab for Activity Monitor, I see "User deferred" every 60 seconds appear for my Linux host.

I tried retrocpl -off then -on to restart the client, but the problem remains.

Assistance appreciated!

• 10 months later...

And here in Spring 2010, the problem remains. Although I've been able to back up my Linux server for months, suddenly I'm getting the same -540 error during a file scan (one time the scan completed, but returned an impossible high total size for the files to be backed up (in the petabyte range), so Retrospect bailed).

One frustrating thing is that if you're not looking at the screen when this happens, the error dialog goes away after a while, so you might not ever know there's a problem. It looks as though the problem started when I got the 7.7.325 update.

Any ideas?

Edited by Guest