Upgrade from HD to 7.5 Pro problems grooming old backups

rjhfandclf

I've just succumbed to the invitation to upgrade and am having problems with a first backup as Pro sees my external Maxtor One Touch disk as having only a few Gb of space (It is full with HD 1.1 back-ups).

I have read everything I can and have trawled the (dreadful) Retrospect website for hours trying to find support to tell me how to get 7.5 to groom the old HD back-ups. I read somewhere that it can - but nowhere how to achieve this.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks you for your very quick response. However, I have tried this option a number of times today... Although my windows are slightly different to the tutorial, when I get to 3b (choose a disk + OK), I get 'disk doesn't contain any Backup Set files, select another'.

There is a backup set there as my first attempt got a few GB backed before stalling as full. When I then first followed this route, I went through 3d to 4a and 4b, but can't now remember what happened after that.

The backup set summary says: used = empty, and Members = none. There is a catalogue file on C drive.

The closest I seem to be able to get into the back-up disk is via Volumes Database + browse - but I don't know if there is anything I can do from there or elsewhere???

Thanks

Thanks - yes, tried that now but same result - so have checked via Win Explorer and this confirms that the 1-backup set name directories are completely void. So I then followed your route to similar old HD restore points directory on the drive and if I highlight that and click OK it moves forward to show the set (which happens to be 'RestorePoint2' if I click OK it asks if there are any more disks - 'No' produces 'Continue with catalogue the disks without missing files' (view = about 50 AA??????.rdb files - look like old numbers but don't know what they are). 'Continue' goes to 'Saving Backup Set Cat file' window with compulsory file name of RestorePoint2.rbc.

I've gone no further at this stage until I hear if this is a valid solution, as I can still cancel at this stage.

Thanks again.

OK - so I've now completed the rebuild successfully and have two back-up sets on the external HD - the new one sitting in a new 'Retrospect/... ' directory and the old HD one in the old 'Retrospect Restore Points/Retrospect/... ' directory.

I have then tried to run the backup again using Retrospect's defined grooming policy, but it still fails to groom out any old files from the old Retrospect HD back-up set.

How can I get the program to recognise the old set? Do these sets need to be combined or enclosed within the same directory, perhaps? I assume I can do this via Tools > Transfer Backup Sets? (The catalogue files are both in the same directory on the fixed HDD, so would they also need separate attention?)

Alternatively, the only other thing I can think of is to use Retrospect to manually groom out the older back-ups down to say five points - but I am worried if I do this that it may remove some essential older files, so maybe do I simply get rid of all the old back-ups and start again from scratch?

Edited by Guest

I have then tried to run the backup again using Retrospect's defined grooming policy, but it still fails to groom out any old files from the old Retrospect HD back-up set.

How can I get the program to recognise the old set?

What do you mean by recognize the old set? Does Retrospect not see this backup set?

If grooming is saying "zero files groomed", then you may need to change the grooming option to keep less data, or manually delete snapshots or just erase the backup and start over again.

Changing grooming to 5 or even 2 will not remove data required for a full disaster recovery. Grooming only removes old/extra copied of files.

As I think I noted above, what I mean is that Retrospect does not groom out anything from the repaired set, despite the set being listed in Retrospect. There is no 'zero files groomed' comment as I am unable to get that far, since the HD remains full and I am asked for alternative media.

I assume from what you say, that Backup Set Transfer will not work then to combine the old set into the new one? In that case, I guess I have no option but to start again. This process again is not entirely clear in documentation, so can I please check my understanding with you?

First I need to 'Forget' both Backup Sets via Configure > Backup Sets; then I need to wipe all the files manually from the disk - via Windows Explorer, presumably. Finally, I need to wipe the catalogue files as well. But is there anything else hidden that I need to wipe or change?

Thank you.

OK - noted - so if that and 'Backup Set Transfer' will not work, can I take you back to my earlier query re deleting the sets...?

First I need to 'Forget' both Backup Sets via Configure > Backup Sets; then I need to wipe all the files manually from the disk - via Windows Explorer, presumably. Finally, I need to wipe the catalogue files as well. But is there anything else hidden that I need to wipe or change?

Is this what I need to do, please?

First of all, thank you for your attention in this query. I was unable to groom the disk at all as it appeared to need space that was not available in order to do this - so I followed the completely new back-up route and have abandoned the old back-ups.

Secondly, and noting your signature, I would add that I feel that the documentation supporting such an upgrade from HD to Pro is severely lacking - particularly as you are actively promoting such upgrades. Despite saying that Pro will recognise and take over the HD backup sets, this string has proved that not to be the case - and it has wasted an inordinate amount of both my and your time to resolve. Perhaps you might feel it worth passing this observation on to whomever it concerns, to perhaps save the considerable frustration of other customers?