I am trying to configure an internet connection to a ftp backup server with a PPC G5 running on 10.4.11. The connection can be established, however the "directories" folder button in the connection configuration window and then the "new" button in the "Pick a location for storing data" window do not display the folders that are actually created there. I have been able to verify this by accessing the same location on a MacBook Pro where the configuration works.

Then when the script is executed the connection is once again established however the execution never gets any further than a "please wait" dialogue box. The log gives the following info "Device trouble: “back. encyp”, error 225 (FTP: no write privileges, bad name, or disk full)." However I have repaired privileges and not found any problem, I don't see why the name should be a problem and the disk is not full. Any ideas how to resolve this issue ?

The user you are using to log on with Retrospect does not have the credentials needed for the directory, either because of how you have the FTP server set up, or by the actual ACLs or permissions on the directory.

Try logging on with an FTP client such as Fetch, etc., as the same user you are using for Retrospect's FTP login so that you can see the FTP log chit-chat, try to write files and create directories.

This is not something that Disk Utility's "repair permissions" can fix; that only sets permissions on files and folders for Apple-installed applications using the receipts that Apple leaves around as droppings.

Russ

Thanks for your reply. I can log on to the FTP client using Cyberduck with exactly the same credentials that are specified in my Retrospect setup. And I can write files and create directories. And as I said in the original post I could already do this operating from another machine. So I am stumped as to why the Retrospect setup wont work.

OK. It seems to be a firewall issue, I should have thought of that myself. Turning the firewall off lets the script function properly. Now the question is what port do I need to open for it to run with the firewall turned back on. TCP 497 was already opened in my previous firewall settings but that doesn't appear to be sufficent.

Quote:

Another thing to consider is the ACTV/PASV thing.

And could you tell what you mean by this? I found no mention of ACTV/PASV either on this forum or in the manual

Here's the FAQ that describes the requirements:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=5759&p=2

Retrospect cannot use passive FTP mode (entry into passive mode is by a PASV response to the PORT command).

Here's a Wikipedia article that explains:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ftp#FTP_and_NAT_devices

See also RFC-959:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc959

The standard FTP protocol control port is port 21, but it can be changed.

The standard FTP protocol data port is port 20, but it can be changed.

russ

Opening ports 20 and 21 has not improved the situation. I can still only get the script to run when the firewall is completely off. So would you have any ideas as to what configuration change I might need for the script to run even when the firewall is turned on.

I don't get the impression that the discussion of ACTV/PASV is to the point as the script runs perfectly well with the firewall turned off. However just to answer the previous post, I just did another search for PASV and ACTV seperately and the only thread I could find was this one. Are we all on the same forum ?

Quote:

Opening ports 20 and 21 has not improved the situation. I can still only get the script to run when the firewall is completely off. So would you have any ideas as to what configuration change I might need for the script to run even when the firewall is turned on.

no; you know that it is a firewall problem. play with ranges of ports. Your problem has been identified, troubleshooting it at your end from this point. Retrospect is working fine, it's not a Retrospect issue.

Quote:

I don't get the impression that the discussion of ACTV/PASV is to the point as the script runs perfectly well with the firewall turned off. However just to answer the previous post, I just did another search for PASV and ACTV seperately and the only thread I could find was this one. Are we all on the same forum ?

we don't know how you did your search. I just did one a few minutes ago, searched for PASV, got 10 hits including the ones in this thread. Are you sure that you had a wide time span for the search, rather than just the past week?

Russ