Upgrade to 7.5 from 7.0, snapshot problems

jhg

I just upgraded from 7.0 to 7.5.387 (with 7.5.13.100 driver update) to get support for my Pioneer DVR112D

On the first backup, Building Snapshot on the C: drive ran for 2 hours. There was almost no disk activity, one quick flash of the disk activity light every 5 seconds or so. I tried the "Stop" button but it didn't stop (I waited 10 more minutes) at which point I killed it in Task Manager.

On attempting to rerun the backup after disabling all the "backup file/folder security" options, I get the following in the log:

Can't use Open File Backup option for BOOT (C:), error -3043 (the maximum number of Snapshots has been reached)

Questions:

1) What does this error message mean?

2) If it takes over 2 hours to build a snapshot on a typical boot WinXP boot drive, then snapshots have become unusable. What are the implications of disabling snapshots? Do I lose any real functionality, or just convenience on restore?

Additional note

The second backup attempt (an incremental) is now also hung in "Building Snapshot".

According to Process Explorer it is consuming almost NO CPU time and doing no Read or Write I/O, just a few hundred bytes of I/O "Other" per second.

What's going on here?

• 2 weeks later...

I is also happening to us since we installed the last release of 7.0 Single Server. The only difference that I have is that the backup does continue after about 7 hours. However, by then something corupts the shadow copy and many hours later the back up "completes" the compare.

One thing that helped me was making sure to run CHKDSK on all the drives to make sure the filesystems are clean, including the system drive. For the system drive (usually C:) you shoult run the CHKDSK /f command, answer "Y" to the prompt of checking on next boot, then reboot. This seemed to iron out stuff for me.

Mayoof, It was not my intention to go off topic. I am running version Single Server 7.0.326. I made my comment based on my snapshot of my root drive of one computer seeming to hang in a similar manner. Given that it was the last release of 7, perhaps there is some connedtion with 7.5?

I say something corupts the shadow copy because I get a basket load of -1101 errors - hundreds of files reported as not found even though they are there.

I have viewed topic 26685 and disable antivirus as suggested, but I still have the long waiting for the snapshot. I am running 7.5.508, driver 7.5.13.100 and it is taking 4+ days to complete a backup. Retrospect is chewing up all of the cpu time flucuating between 85% and 99%. There is plenty of free space on the local drive and I have a 2.4 GHz processor and 2.6G of RAM. Since disabling the antivirus the errors have greatly reduced, but it is still taking an awfully long time to complete. Any additional insight onto this matter would be great.

Thanks!!

Lake, 4 days sounds like a long time. SInce this is your first post to the thread, I would suggest providing more specific details about what you are trying to backup so we can help troubleshoot.

Does it spend the entire 4 days saying "building snapshot"?

How many total files and folders on the source volume?

Local backup or client backup?

How many files exist within the backup set?

How many sessions exist within the backup set?

What type of backup set is this?

I'm not sure about the entire4 days building snapshot, but yes, I would say it spends a good majority of the time hung there.

I am not sure of the total files on the source machine. It is a 407.12GB drive with 2.32GB free. I'm still gathering the actual file/folder number information.

This is a client backkup

On the backup set that completed, there is 359 files. On the other backup sets there is right around the same number of files + or - 20.

There is only one session on the backup set

The backup sets are scheduled to run each day and go to a different drive for each day. The drives are connected with esata cables and there is a total of 8. We only use 7 right now and the other is a backup for the other units.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm waiting for the system to respond to my clicks since Retrospect has the CPU pegged at 99%. The amount of local disk space that is free on C:\ is 148.67GB. The drive itself is a 223.51GB drive.

Performance is currently running at 79.3MB/Minute. On the backup that was successful it ran at 130.1MB/Minute. On others that I have killed it was running at 493.8MB/Minute.

2/24/2008 5:25:02 AM: 289 execution errors

Total performance: 121.2 MB/minute

Total duration: 3 12:24:07 (3 05:28:35 idle/loading/preparing)

So I have now completely removed all old snapshots as well as catalog files to attempt a fresh start and I still seem to be hung at the building snapshot. It indicates that there are 3 files remaining, 6,392KB 00:01:30 sec. It has been hung like this since I arrived this morning about 3 hours ago. It has completed 767,957 files, 170.7GB 17:57:04 sec 4.0 MB/min.

Would you like me to start a new thread for this?

The cpu on the pc is again pegged at 99% usage. It is fulctuating between 99% and 60% and is using 579,392K of memory.

Also, here is the current log file. Doesn't really show much, but thought you would like to see.

+ Normal backup using Backup at 3/5/2008 5:00 PM (Execution unit 1)

To Backup Set Wednesday...

- 3/5/2008 5:00:00 PM: Copying Data (D:) on lakenh

File "D:\Support\RS\RS\FORMS\~WRL0295.tmp": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

File "D:\Users\{MyUser1}\Training Forms Individual\~dividual Training Form debrief 8-3-04.doc": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

File "D:\Users\{MyUser2}\Docs\dj bufon - Neverland3000.mp2": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

Mayoff, any thoughts you might have on this issue would be greatly appreciated.