Tips for backing up to removable drives

edmorey

Hello - we're just bought Retrospect SBS Standard v7.5 and are planning to hook up a couple of removable USB drives to the server to store the backup sets. The idea being to take one home each night and backup to the other and vice versa the next day. Is this is a sensible idea or are there any problems we might run into doing this? If I create 2 scripts - one backing up to disk A and one to disk B - is Retrospect clever enough to realise that we've disconnected one drive and to continue with the other backup - i.e. if drive A is not attached, script B will still run? Cheers Ed.

I'd love an answer to this as well. I've been trying to get this working for the better part of a year. I created a script that runs twice a day. First to Drive Set A and then Drive set B five minutes later. I set the preferences to timeout after 2 minutes so the script with the missing set does not hold up all the jobs. But it only seems to work for a couple of weeks before everything stops.

I never get errors as to why it stops.

Chad

Quote:

Retrospect clever enough to realise that we've disconnected one drive and to continue with the other backup - i.e. if drive A is not attached, script B will still run?

As long as you create the backup sets correctly, than retrospect will search for the correct removable USB device when the script is set to run. If the proper device is not found, it should not interfere with the other script.

Quote:

As long as you create the backup sets correctly, than retrospect will search for the correct removable USB device when the script is set to run. If the proper device is not found, it should not interfere with the other script.

So what is the correct way to setup the scripts for this to work properly?

Chad