Scanning incomplete, error -1020 (sharing violation)

I've been getting this error message intermittently. Here's a log snippet:

1/31/2008 8:04:27 PM: Copying Web on C on server02

1/31/2008 8:04:27 PM: No files need to be copied

1/31/2008 8:04:35 PM: Snapshot stored, 30 KB

1/31/2008 8:04:46 PM: Execution completed successfully

Duration: 00:00:18 (00:00:09 idle/loading/preparing)

1/31/2008 8:04:48 PM: Copying backup on C$ on server01

1/31/2008 8:04:49 PM: Copying CTuner Setups on C$ on server09

1/31/2008 8:04:50 PM: Copying ORIS on Output on server09

I'm curious as to why it's failing on the scanning phase. I talked to tech support and their explanation was this...

When Retrospect is scanning the folder, one or more of the files in the folder is in use by another process. As a result Retrospect is deciding not to backup the entire folder. He went on to explain how an application can communicate directly with Retrospect to inform it of files that are in use. To the best of my knowledge that may be the case if I were using Open File Backup, but I am not, which I explained to him. On top of that the source folders involved wih these 1020 errors are always SMB shared folders on a different server than the backup server. Even with OFB, if Retrospect is running on server02 and wants to backup an open file via SMB on server01, is there any way for server01 to allow that to happen?

His explanation doesn't really make any sense to me. Why would Retrospect skip an entire folder if (potentially) just one file in that folder is in use? Why would it not go ahead and backup the files that it can and skip the file(s) that have an open file lock on them?

Was I perhaps misinformed (again) by tech support or is that really how Retrospect works?

To note, All servers involved are running Winows 2000 Server. If I go to Configure>>Volumes, I can browse any of the remote folders with no problems. Again, this happens intermittently. Sometimes these source folders backup with no errors.

It seems to me that there is something else wrong and that this is not just standard behavior.

1020 errors during scanning is actually a very rare thing. I don't see it very often and the exact cause is unknown. Maybe permissions based.

You can try going to ctrl-alt-p-p and turn on the Continue after scanning errors item found under Execution. I don't know if this option will help in this situation.

You are right that OFB would not help in this situation due to the data being on a mounted share. I suspect that something in the file system of this share is holding onto a file/folder and just preventing Retrospect access and as a result the scan dies.