system panic

Quote:

Any idea ?

Any details you could provide? (Your hardware, MacOS version (10.3.what? Server?), ATTO HBA firmware version, ATTO HBA driver revision, Retrospect version, RDU version)

We've never seen this with any versions of Retrospect 6.0.x or 6.1.x, any RDU, on our Xserve G5 on any version of MacOS 10.4.x Server, ATTO UL4D LVD, any version of ATTO firmware, any version of ATTO driver.

Russ

Quote:

Hardware :Mac PowerPC G4 - 867 Mhz- 640 Mo

MacOS version : 10.3.9

ATTo HBA : How can I see it ?

ATTO HBA driver : version 1.0

The ATTO SCSI HBA will be listed in Apple System Profiler. You can also get information for that card using ATTO's "configtool" program. ATTO drivers and firmware and configtool are available here:

ATTO software and driver downloads

Because it's unclear to me which ATTO HBA you have, it's unclear whether you have installed the current driver and firmware for it.

The installed ATTO driver is in /System/Library/Extensions - you can also do a "get info" in the finder to find its information.

Here's how our ATTO UL4D is reported by Apple System Profiler in our Xserve G5:

Code:

ATTO ExpressPCI UL4D:

Name: ATTO,ExpressPCIProUL4D

Type: scsi-2

Bus: PCI

Slot: SLOT-3

Vendor ID: 0x117c

Device ID: 0x0030

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x117c

Subsystem ID: 0x8013

ROM Revision: 1.5.2

Revision ID: 0x0008

ATTO ExpressPCI UL4D:

Name: ATTO,ExpressPCIProUL4D

Type: scsi-2

Bus: PCI

Slot: SLOT-3

Vendor ID: 0x117c

Device ID: 0x0030

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x117c

Subsystem ID: 0x8013

ROM Revision: 1.5.2

Revision ID: 0x0008

Quote:

Restrospect version 6.1.138

RDU version : how can i see it ?

Its version will be printed in the Retrospect log each time Retrospect is launched. If none prints, then you have not installed an RDU, and that could be your problem. The RDU version will also show in "About Retrospect" under the "Retrospect" menu.

The RDU versions are here:

RDU version history

Russ

Quote:

for ATTO Express PCI UL4S , I find :

Driver version 3.6.0

Subsystem vendor ID : 117c

subsystem ID : 8014

HBA firmware is : 1.5.0 ( not sure )

The ATTO support page shows that, for MacOS 10.3.9 (which you say you have), you should be running ATTO driver 3.7.0 (not 3.6.0). Install the later driver.

The ATTO support page shows that, for MacOS 10.3.9 (which you say you have), you should be running firmware of September 5, 2007. However, I believe that this firmware was released for Leopard issues, and you may want to run the version of March 16, 2007, which is what we are running (version 1.5.2). Some people have reported issues with the Sept. 5, 2007, firmware.

Regardless, your firmware is old and needs updating.

Russ