Unable to Reinstall

randun

I recently carried on a dialogue with "Mayhoff" regarding my inability to retrieve my applicatio license. The following suggestion worked the first time:

Have you tried putting the files back into the appropriate directory on the new system?

Try this: http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=9635&p=2

Unfortunately, I had to do yet another upgrade install of Vista! Now, I'm back to square one with Retrospect again. Your tip of changing renaming configXX.dat & configXX.bak does not work this time. In fact the latter file is not even created. Also, it appears that I have numerous copies of 7.5 on my hard drive now. Since I don't have the email receipt for my version 0f 7.5 & EMC presumably doesn't have a record of my upgrade, do you now have further suggestions of how I can just start over, ridding myself of the multiple copies of 7.5, etc. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out I mis-stated the bit about numerous copies of 7.5 on my system. There are not several applications installed. I meant to state that I had created more than installation set, thus there are two Retrospect folders on my hard drive where I attempted to reinstall. The odd thing is that when I check Programs and Features, Retrospect is not listed, and it also doesn't appear in the Windows Install Clean Up utility. Yet, a check of Task Manager Processes shows 'retrorun.dll' running! Totally bizzare!

I give up! I ended the 'retrorun.dll' process, reinstalled 7.5, and it's still asking me for my license code. EMC Dantz swears that they only show me being registered for 7.0. If that's so, how was I able to download 7.5 when it was releasd, install it, and backup with no problem for a year! I have 87 GB of backup data resting on my external drive dating back to 1/06! It appears that I've run out of options & Customer Service will not work with me so I'll just rid myself of Retrospect, purchase new backup software, and start anew.

Well, I decided not to give up & give this one last try. I found two 'residual' config75.dat & config75.bak files in Windows.old, copied them over the files in the newly installed Retrospect 7.5 folder & bingo, the program works! I guess persistence does pay off...