Problem restoring a 2002 file. Driver problem?

Hello,

My retrospect server is a G4 machine 1.5Gb Ram using Atto UL4S card and hp DAT 40 DDS tape drive. And it works fine with retrospect since retrospect version 6.

A few days ago I tried to restore a file that was backed up on July 31, 2002. I have the tape and the catalog file that created by a old version of retrospect. I was able to search the file from the old catalog, but I got the following error

Bad backup set header found (0xfffc7c08 at 101,921,496).

I tried to rebuild the catalog from the tape and got the same error. So I put the SCSI card and the tape drive to a OS 9 machine with retrospect 5.0 and try again. The retrospect doesn't seems to recongize the tape drive.

Can I copy the latest driver update and update the retrospect 5.0 like what we can do in version 6?

Did retrospect changed the way they save the file during upgrade so the old tape become supportable?

This error is an indication of a problem reading data from the tape.

If the hex code is the same with every restore attempt, then you have a bad physical spot on the backup tape and changing computers will not help.

If the hex code is different every time, then you have a device communication issue.

What OS X version are you using?

My backup server is ppc 10.4.11 and the client is intel 10.4.11.

Just did another 7 tries. Yup, all attempts failed on the same location

Bad backup set header found (0xfffc7c08 at 101,921,496).

Bad backup set header found (0xffffffff at 108,535,314).

I guess the tape is dead then...

Tapes have a short life if you don't store them in ideal conditions. However, I've been able to restore from Retrospect DAT tapes made in 1992 under Retrospect 2.0 using Retrospect 6.1.x. That's one of the reasons I always have alternating tape backup sets, and I never re-use tapes. They go into storage when they fill up.

As one last try, may I suggest that you do a cleaning cycle on the drive and try again a few times?

Russ

Well, it's possible that the file is also on another backup tape as well. If you didn't delete that file as of the date of the last snapshot of that 2002 tape, it should also have been backed up in the first snapshot of the next backup set for that source, and would also have appeared in every snapshot until the date that the file was deleted. Give that a try, see if it's on a later tape.

Russ