Exchange 2007 Support Update

valas

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are still working on 2007 support, and we wanted to add some more exchange backup functionality at the same time....so it looks like it will be Q1 before we add support.

As far as staffing levels, we have more engineers working on exchange then we have ever had, so don't believe every rumor you hear.

• 4 weeks later...

valas I couldn't agree with you more, watch them close this topic out too like they did with some of the other exchange 2007 posts. As soon as you start asking hard questions or expressing your opinion.

This is getting almost comical though "it's coming I swear" how long do you think we can wait? I have a boss I can't tell him "we will get proper exchange 2007 whenever EMC feels like it". Why are you guys trying so hard to kill this product?

• 2 weeks later...

Mayoff, you have to admit these frustrations are quite valid. We have been struggling without proper Exchange backups for a year now. It's nothing personal against you - it's the company's policy of not providing accurate (or any!) information about why the product is delayed. What are these mystery features that are holding up release?

thanks,

Wes

• 2 weeks later...

Add us to the list of concerned Retrospect users. We're slowly starting to see why this is considered SMB software vs. the others. Always nice to tell the auditors that our backup solution for Exchange 2007 is "Windows Built-In Backup". They just love us <sarcasm>.

Can't wait to see 7.6/8.0/Retrospect Ultimate/whatever it will be 8-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

An update to Retrospect 7.5 for Windows is now available for immediate download. This update to version 7.5.508 adds support for Exchange 2007 servers. This update also includes support for the Exchange Recovery Storage Group in Exchange 2003 and 2007. To download the update and review the product read me document, please visit http://www.emcinsignia.com/updates or use the automatic update feature in Retrospect 7.5.

Support for Exchange 2007 requires the installation of several Microsoft software components. Specific details on these requirements can be found in the product Read Me or at

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=9633&p=2

Retrospect doesn't have an "exchange agent" and hasn't had an exchange agent since version 6.0 of the software.

Retrospect requires that you purchase a license code (you can use the same code that you may have used with prior version of Retrospect) to activate exchange support. You enter the license code into the license manager.

See Appendix B of the User's Guide.

Ok i am confused now frown.gif

I read this on the emcinsignia website :

http://www.emcinsignia.com/en/products/smb/retroforwin/addons/

-----------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Exchange Server Agent

The Exchange Server Agent add-on provides fast, precise backups of Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, Exchange Server 2003, Exchange 2000 Server, and Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 while online. It can perform full, differential, or log/incremental backups at a database, individual mailbox, or message level to speed backup operations. The Exchange Agent add-on is designed to automatically restore an Exchange server to a specific point in time, eliminating the complex manual procedures that are otherwise required to restore e-mail environments. Retrospect can restore the entire Exchange database, an individual public folder, a mailbox, or a single e-mail. The Exchange Agent add-on is licensed for use on one Exchange server and includes a server client license. The following versions of Microsoft Exchange Server are supported:

Exchange 2007 Server running on Windows 2003 Server Exchange Server 2003 running on Windows Server 2003 (Standard and Enterprise editions including R2 editions) or Windows Small Business Server 2003 (Standard or Premium edition including R2 editions)* Exchange 2000 Server running on Windows 2000 Server Exchange Server 5.5 running on Windows 2000 Server or Windows NT 4.0 Server Exchange 2000 and Exchange

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am upgrading to exchange server 2007 , and want to have a full/incremental backup of the exchange store as well as a brick level backup (individual emails and other items can be restored seperately).

You say there is no existing agent for echange . That means i can do bricklevel backups without buying an extra key/addon/agent other than my multiserver license ?

Sorry for the confusion.

In the case of Retrospect, you purchase a license code (an add-on license code) to allow you to backup an exchange server. No additional software gets installed.

In your original post, I assumed you already owned the exchange add-on license code. If this was the case, then you don't need to do anything additional to get exchange 2007 support.

If you don't own the add on license code, then you need to purchase it.

Have you done the items in the link above:

Exchange 2007 Support

Beginning with Exchange 2007 Microsoft is not installing the Messaging API (MAPI) client libraries

or Collaboration Data Objects (CDO) 1.2.1 as a part of the base product installation.

Retrospect requires these libraries be installed on the Exchange 2007 server in order to backup

Exchange 2007. For information on installing MAPI and CDO, please see the Microsoft web site.

Important Microsoft Note: This MAPI Installer will not install on a system on which any version of Microsoft Outlook

or Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 or earlier is installed.

Exchange 2007 Required Components: Retrospect requires components in the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64) be installed on the machine running Exchange Server 2007 in order to successfully back up the server. To install these components select the "Install Exchange Server 2007 Support" button in the Retrospect application installer. For more information, please see the Microsoft web site.

Exchange is a client PC. Retrospect is loaded on a local storage box.

1st and 2nd storage groups are successful. The error has halted the operation while backing up one certain mailbox. This mailbox in queston is the last (95 of 95) on the list. The other 94 boxes backup fine. I will omit that mailbox tonight and see if it is able to proceed. I initially found it odd that of all 95 of the mailboxes it is only having a problem with the last one.

The only error listed was posted in the earlier post.

The operation fails gracefully without forceful termination.