Restoring old CD backup sets on new DVD drive

I have just moved from a G4 867 to a Mac Pro tower. I've used Retrospect Express for years and years with no problem (since back in the days of Syquests... I date myself.) The 867 had an internal CD drive, and I backed up to CDs. Then I bought an external La Cie DVD and started a new backup set on DVDs. All went smoothly.

But now I've discovered I can restore to my new Mac from the DVDs, but I cannot restore from any of the CDs. I get the "Incompatible" error.

I still have the 867, and the La Cie drive. Shall I plug it into the Mac Pro to access the CDs? It's firewire. (I've loaned it to a friend so that's why I don't just try it.) The 867 and Mac Pro cannot be networked, even though both are running the same OS, 10.4.8. They don't see each other very well.

I'm sure there's a long way and a short way to get to my old backups. I would prefer the short way... Do I need to reconfigure my new internal CD/DVD to see them? How do I do that? Would that mean I then cannot see my more recent DVD backup sets? This reconfiguring stuff makes me kind of squeemish.

Thanks to anyone who has a suggestion of something other than to un-retire the 867, restore to that, put the restored files on a DVD and bring them whole onto the Mac Pro and back them up again... It should be easier than that.

Minor question: Why did you post this in the Mac OS 9 forum if you indicate both machines are running Mac OS X 10.4.8? You might get more (and faster, better) responses if you posted in the right forum.

Quote:

I get the "Incompatible" error.

Need some facts.

What is the precise error?

What version of Retrospect (Express?) did you use on the G4 867 to back up to CDs ?

What DVD drive is in the LaCie case? (see System Profile and Retrospect's info)

What DVD drive is in your Mac Pro (see System Profile and Retrospect's info)

What type of CD media was used in the G4 867 internal CD drive? (CD-R, CD+R, etc.)

You don't indicate whether you were able to read (restore from) the CDs made on the G4 867's internal CD drive using the LaCie DVD drive on the G4 867. Were you?

These questions are to figure out whether your DVD drive on the Mac Pro is certified for the media that you used on the G4 867, and to figure out why it worked before but not now.

Quote:

I'm sure there's a long way and a short way to get to my old backups. I would prefer the short way... Do I need to reconfigure my new internal CD/DVD to see them? How do I do that? Would that mean I then cannot see my more recent DVD backup sets? This reconfiguring stuff makes me kind of squeemish.

As long as you don't reconfigure for DVD, wouldn't affect the DVD action.

Odd that the G4 867 and Mac Pro don't "see each other very well" over the network.

If worst comes to worst, I think that you might put the G4 867 into Target Disk Mode with the CD in it, couple the two machines by firewire, and use the 867 as an expensive CD drive over firewire from the Mac Pro to access your CDs on the same drive on which they were made. That would let you get your backups off the CDs. I can do that with my Xserve, so I think you should be able to do it with your G4.

Russ

Thanks Russ,

I didn't realize this forum is for OS9. I thought it was for Retrospect Express in general. Sorry. I see I'm in the wrong place. Should we take this up somewhere else?

In short, yes, I can do the target disk mode. But it's tedious, you know. That's the looooong way around. tongue.gif That's what I mean, they don't see each other "very well."

To answer the other questions.

The precise error is "Incompatible." That's it.

I have been running Tiger since it came out, so I have been using a version of Retrospect Express that is Tiger-compatible all along, and didn't get the LaCie at the same time I upgraded, so I don't THINK the version of Retrospect is the problem. I know I can only restore them, not add to them.

Without borrowing the La Cie back, I don't know what drive is in it, or in the 867. The Mac Pro has a SONY DVD RW DW-D150A. (as copied from System Profiler)

The CD media I used is CD-R.

I sure cannot remember if I can restore the CDs using the old firewire La Cie. If I ever tried it, I could do it... I just can't remember if I even tried it. I restore things once in awhile, but I may have used the internal CD drive of the 867 to do it.

Thanks for any insight...

Quote:

The Mac Pro has a SONY DVD RW DW-D150A

That's very helpful. The most recent Retrospect driver update RDU (RDU 6.1.9.102), whose download link is here:

Retrospect Express RDU 6.1.9.102 download

and the release notes for that RDU:

RDU 6.1.9.102 release notes

indicate that support for the Sony DVD RW DW-D150A was added in that RDU. Do you have this RDU installed?

There seems to be some confusion on the Retrospect support site because this drive has not been entered into the list of supported devices:

Retrospect supported devices

so it's not possible to tell what media that RDU supports for this device. There's a recent thread in these forums here:

Command Rejected by Sony DW-D150A

where the poster was not able to get that drive to work with -R media (the discussion was for DVD-R, not CD-R), but it was suspected that it might work with +R media. If that's the case, you may be out of luck with your old CD-R media. See that earlier post for a discussion.

Russ

Yeah, Russ, I have the latest RDU. When I set up this machine two months ago, I got all the latest updates for all my software before I ever launched the program, and I checked and that's indeed the one in the application folder. Hmph. Looks like I may have to go the long way around after all. I wish I could even copy the CDs to another CD or DVD media, you know, but Retrospect CDs don't mount except in Retrospect -- Toast won't even see them. Guess I'll ask for the LaCie back for awhile and see if anything's different there. I have a few hundred CDs of backups over the last three years... would like to have access to at least some of them.

Thanks for the discussion. It's nothing life and death, that I need to restore by three hours ago.

Quote:

When I set up this machine two months ago, I got all the latest updates for all my software before I ever launched the program

RDU 6.1.9.102 has a release date of 11/28/2006. But I trust you checked the version.

I can't think of any other solution except perhaps to take the internal CD drive out of the G4 867 and put it into the Mac Pro tower (or some similar approach, such as putting it into an external drive case, to get the CD drive onto the Mac Pro).

Russ

Quote:

Thanks for talking this over with me, Mr. Guru guy.

I'm just a user like you. The EMC/Dantz forum software adds that title, not me, based on number of posts. We've all climbed the steep learning curve at one time or another. From your initial post, sounds like we go back to the same ancient history with Retrospect.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Russ