QPS FireWire 24x10x40 (Plextor)

In early September, 2001, I was in the market to purchase one of the new QPS FireWire 24x10x40 CD-RW drives. I called Dantz tech. support to ask their opinion about the various mechanisms available (QPS has been known to use Plextor, Sanyo, TEAC, etc. in their drives). The tech. support guy I talked to said he would definitely recommend the Plextor mechanism. He said the others often had some sort of problem related to packet writing. He said the Plextor mechs. were very reliable and produced speedy backups (no packet writing issues). Given his recommendation (and lots of other good things I had read about Plextor mechs.), I went ahead and bought a QPS Que FIRE! 24x10x40 (Plextor) CD-RW. I knew it was (at the time) a brand new drive, so I didn't expect Retrospect to support it instantly, but they seemed to support just about all of the other QPS (Plextor) FireWire drives so it shouldn't be too long, right?

Well, in early October, 2001, I e-mailed Dantz tech. support asking about Retrospect support plans for my drive. I got a reply saying they were already looking into support for that particular drive. Here we are five months later and STILL no support for that drive. What gives??

I've noticed that the Plextor 24x10x40 (PX-W2410A) IDE drive IS supported (and that is EXACTLY the same drive mech. that is in my QPS drive). Further, several QPS FireWire CD-RW drives are supported and I've got to believe that they all use the same external box (with the same FireWire to IDE bridge board). So, the drive mech. and the box are both supported individually. How hard can it be to support the combination? Does it really take (at least) five months?

I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm getting rather frustrated. I just want to be able to do backups!

Dantz, PLEASE support the QPS 24x10x40 (Plextor) CD-RW drive!

Yours truly,

Jay

Mac G4 400 (AGP)

Mac OS X 10.1.3 & Mac OS 9.2.2

• 2 months later...

After reading these posts, it looks like the QPS QueFire 24x10x40 has been in limbo for at least 9 months... Can Dantz even tell us if they are working on this drive?

Unfortunately, I already had the drive, wanted to do backups, and after reading several reviews, decided Retrospect Express was the best product for me. I never even considered that a popular drive like the QueFire might not be supported. And since I bought it online, I never saw a disclaimer about checking the supported drives list until too late...

• 1 month later...

Exactly. They make it onerously expensive to contact technical support, tell everyone that they are working hard on drive support and currently support almost none of the currently sold CD-R and CD-RW drives. If you want a drive to work with this program, you need to buy a used drive form e-Bay. What a joke.

I bought a QPS Que! Fire 16x10x40x (TEAC CD-W516EB version) cause Dantz reommended that as "qualified".

But Retrospect Express has an unacceptable poor performance and the Knowledgebase tells me: "In some cases the firmware of a device will prevent Retrospect from writing data (in packet mode) at the normal designated write speed. This is true for the Panasonic CW-7503, Panasonic CW-7586, QPS Que! Fire 16x10x40 (TEAC) and a few other drives."

Why does Dantz recommend the QPS Que! Fire 16x10x40 (TEAC) as qualified if it has such a serious bug. ???

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

That's true. And the drive definitely isn't fully supported. I tried making a few backups, two went without a hitch, but one resulted in a '101 - improper request' that froze up the drive (until system and drive were restarted) and the backup could not continue due to repeaded '102 - trouble communicating' errors. A subsequent attempt using a new backup set seems to have worked fine.

I haven't tried restoring from them yet... but now I will.

Archived