maxtor crashed

Help!!!

First, my Maxtor is being used to back-up important files on a daily basis. Yesterday morning I started my computer and to my surprise a pop-up window appeared asking if I would like to eject or initialize the disk. Again these files are very important and I've used this drive as my back-up. Please help!!! Thank you.

Loretta

Being very unfamiliar with this drive I followed the basic instructions and once the Maxtor icon was on my system I began to copy my files to the icon. So, I'm not sure what was created a "file" backup set with Retrospect or a "removable disk" backup set. Now as I sit here looking over the user's guide I noticed a section on formatting your drive in Mac OS 9—I don't believe I did that. Once I competed Step 3. Setting Up the Maxtor OneTouch Feature, steps 1 thru 8, I thought that was it. Because I did not format my drive, could that be the problem. I had no problems opening up the disk that housed my files until now.

Ironically, this is my second drive that has given me the same exact problem. The difference is the other drive was a Fantom Drive. But nevertheless, the same thing happen.

If there's no recovery for this disk, should I reinstall the software? Because the software I have on my system now keeps quitting. Can you explain what's happen here? Thank you soooo much!!!

Loretta

Quote:

Graphics said:

Being very unfamiliar with this drive I followed the basic instructions and once the Maxtor icon was on my system I began to copy my files to the icon. So, I'm not sure what was created a "file" backup set with Retrospect or a "removable disk" backup set.

Are you saying that you did not use Retrospect to copy the data? That you manually drag the data to the disk icon each day? If so, Retrospect would not have created any file backup sets on the Maxtor drive.

Quote:

Because the software I have on my system now keeps quitting.

Which software are you referring to? Retrospect? If so, are there any errors?

It really sounds like you have a hard drive problem if you are being asked to re-initialize the drive on boot. This would be something that Maxtor (the hardware vendor) may be able to help resolve.

Quote:

Are you saying that you did not use Retrospect to copy the data? That you manually drag the data to the disk icon each day? If so, Retrospect would not have created any file backup sets on the Maxtor drive.

Yes. I copied the files onto the Maxtor icon everyday. If I wasn't creating backup files than what was it doing for me? What was the proper way of creating backup files?

Quote:

Which software are you referring to? Retrospect? If so, are there any errors?

Yes, Retrospect. I would push the One Touch Button and Retrospect would began to boot-up but than it would immediately quit. No error message. The only message I would see is "Quitting."

Quote:

Mayoff said:

Manually launch Retrospect (don't use the button) and view the operations log for details on why it failed.

I reviewed the log and this is what is said:

? Retrospect Express version Maxtor Edition 5.0.205

launch at 9/16/2003 7:22 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 2.7.102

+ Duplicate using Maxtor OneTouch at 9/16/2003 7:22 AM

Can't access volume Backup copy of iMac2 on Maxtor Personal Storage, error -53 (volume off-line).

9/16/2003 7:22:25 AM: Execution incomplete.

Quit at 9/16/2003 7:22 AM

"Subvolume backup copy is unavailable," this is the message shown when I select run—Maxtor OneTouch.

Does anyone have an anwser for this latest additon to this on going problem? This is in response to the last person who tried to help but I didn't get a response. I said, quote: "Thank you. I did all of that and after I select Run>Maxtor One Touch, I got a message, "Subvolumn Backup copy file is unavailable". Any other solutions? I can see the folder that I created to backup my files by it's not available to select". Anyone?

The last poster requested that you delete the Maxtor script under Automate > Scripts. Your reply is that you did that and that you're getting an error when you "select Run>Maxtor One Touch"

Can you please clarify your response? Had you deleted the Maxtor script, it would no longer be available under the Run menu. Once you've deleted the script you can recreate it by hitting the OneTouch Button.

Yesterday morning I started my computer and to my surprise a pop-up window appeared asking if I would like to eject or initialize the disk

If you continue to recieve this message you should contact Maxtor for hardware troubleshooting.