Multi CD-R backup.. will NOT read

Please refer to "EXPRESS for MAC OSX" Topic: CD-R Error 106 .. Trouble Communicating: Post # 21747

INTRO: I want to backup a folder that contains a 4+Gb file; (actually a C drive image for Virtual PC); onto some CD -Rs.

I run 10.2.3 (AND OS9.2.2) on a G4 Desktop w/ 704/20. RE ver 5.0.238, RE Driver 3.4.103.

I have a CD burner as follows:

ID=ATAPI-A; (ID=1 on OS9); Vendor=Matsushita; Product=CD-RW CW-7586; Version=1.01;

Driver=Panasonic CD-RW (5.01); (1 on OS9)

In the Mac OSX forum I logged several posts about B/U onto Multiple CD-Rs (with no luck)

Here I want to report that RE on OS 9 (for me) does NOT work for large files (subvolumes; see INTRO above).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DETAILS:

OS 9 : Here I *can* Copy the 4.3 Gb subvolume (Folder) onto Five (5) disks.

I did NOT ask for a verify (last time I got the same errors as below...) and after a successful copy (so-called) I tried to VERIFY for a test.

*** After Disk 1 is asked for; RE starts loading (or attempts to)

*** Diags appear in the "Load" window: [A tiny 'lock' followed by "incompatible..... Panasonic CW-7586 (1)"]

Usaing "Choice" it asked for the 2nd Disk... same result...

I also tried to "Restore" the subvolume (Failed) and specific file (failed)

Also... in the device description, the drive IS on ID 1 AND "Ignore Device # " is in force.

Finally, I tried using OS X 10.2.3 RE... and using the correct set from OS 9, I asked to restore the whole 5-disk volume...

SAME error as OS 9.2.2, EXCEPT the Drive info in the LOAD pane said :

" small 'LOCK icon' plus 'incompatible' and at the right "Panasonic CW-7586 ATAP I"

At LEAST it gets the Drive definition right in both OPSYS !!!!

..........................................................................................................................................

So now I have 5 disks with my data on them.. had just written it correctly and RE will NOT read any of the disks...

WHY????

DOES ANYONE at DANTZ have a "magic" tool that will read these data for me? If so I will glad pay a (reasonable) fee to get the data onto RE readable disks .... Some one there MUST have a Panasonic drive that will work??

I really need these data.. because for the very reason we HAVE B/U's, some of the source data is corrupted!!! I have a plan B ; but it is long and envolved blush.gif

Please help I am confused (as always!!!) confused.gif

Jim B

SEE Post @21747 in Mac X Express for log data of my B/U

So now I have 5 disks with my data on them.. had just written it correctly and RE will NOT read any of the disks...

It's not possible to know whether or not the data was written correctly without verification. All the files may be garbage. A manual verification is failing also.

Out of the other CD mastering software mentioned, Retrospect is the only utility writing the data using "packet method" as specified in the orange book standard. This uses different commands and uses the drive differently from all of the other methods you mentioned.

Retrospect uses an industry-standard method - packet writing, also known as the MMC-3 command set - to write data to CD-R/RW media. This method was chosen because it allows for file-level writes at variable speeds without wasting 10+ MB of media space per session written, and buffer underruns aren't an issue. Retrospect does not employ any special commands, but it does require that a device be able to execute standard packet writing commands correctly. Your drive has been fully qualified and does work with Retrospect. However, this doesn't mean that the drive you have is not failing with packet writing. Drives may perform reliably with track writing, yet fail with packet writing - or vice versa.

We don't have in house data recovery. There are companies that specialize in this, however, it is an expensive process and there are no guarentees. Additionally, as noted, if the data was never verified, it may not have not have been copied properly from the get go.

I tested a backup with a 2-gig source single file and spanned 4 CD's successfully without error.

Mac OS 10.2.4

Power Mac G4 733

Apple internal drive: Sony CRX155E

Quote:

Quote:

It's not possible to know whether or not the data was written correctly without verification. All the files may be garbage. A manual verification is failing also.

I understand. I DID get an "EXECUTION WAS SUCCESSFUL" message at end of the 5 CD-R writing. Without verify, guess that is of little use, huh...Also I DO know that the 'write' pauses seemed normal... and the total time DID check with the size/compression of the data I wanted to copy.

So... why does my drive work FLAWLESSLY with any B/U that WILL fit on ONE CD-R? Either in OS 9 OR OS X

I can't compute that, sorry.

And, the same RE-5 app plus the same RE-driver s/w operate DIFFERENTLY just because of the OPSYS difference? I guess that is possible also..huh.......

Quote:

Out of the other CD mastering software mentioned, Retrospect is the only utility writing the data using "packet method" as specified in the orange book standard. This uses different commands and uses the drive differently from all of the other methods you mentioned.

Retrospect uses an industry-standard method - packet writing, also known as the MMC-3 command set - to write data to CD-R/RW media. This method was chosen because it allows for file-level writes at variable speeds without wasting 10+ MB of media space per session written, and buffer underruns aren't an issue. Retrospect does not employ any special commands, but it does require that a device be able to execute standard packet writing commands correctly. Your drive has been fully qualified and does work with Retrospect. However, this doesn't mean that the drive you have is not failing with packet writing. Drives may perform reliably with track writing, yet fail with packet writing - or vice versa.

Again, you are suggesting that my drive is OK with TOAST & single CD-R with RE 5; but can't handle the multi-disks because of some possible H/W glitch? I will certainly look into that but I suspect it is a low probability...

Quote:

We don't have in house data recovery. There are companies that specialize in this, however, it is an expensive process and there are no guarentees. Additionally, as noted, if the data was never verified, it may not have not have been copied properly from the get go.

I know I can't verify the data is there.. Something got written though, of that I AM sure... When the FIRST disk is NOT recognized at all RIGHT after it was written... AND ALL the single CD-Rs I B/U work (again) FLAWLESSLY, I am not sure whether I buy into all you say...

If you have any other ideas, I certainly welcome them. and I continue to back up smaller data onto single CD-Rs with RE 5...

Well, thanx for your reply.

Jim B

Texan,

Thanks your for your comment. After each CD is filled I then get the 102 error. I quit Retrospect and restart it, I then do a catolog check, usually no problem and restart backing up to the same backup set . After it goes through my backed up partitioned HD it then continues where it left off. This is a pain for the first back up of a set, but the incrementals work smoothly after that because there isn't enough data to fill a set.

I have has nothing but problems with Retrospect since I upgraded to 5.0 to be able to use with OS X. First it was errors 205 and 206 in OS 10.1.x and then Errror 206 in 10.2 and now Error 102 in OX 10.2.4. I always back up the Matshita CDRW CW-7586 vers 1A17 (5.01) asn have tried Sony CDRs and HiVal - all to no avail

Let's hope that Amy comes up with a solution.

BTBogdan

confused.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Quote:

Our hardware department is currently investigating this drive based on user reports and my reproduction of the "incompatible" message after filling a disc. Information will be posted when it becomes available.

AmY:

Hello again. Any progress on that investigation? The H/W I have is:

OS 10.2.5 on a G4 400 mhz Desktop w/ 704/20. RE ver 5.0.238 and driver 3.5.104;

ID=ATAPI-A; Vendor=Matsushita; Product= CD-RW CW-7586; Version=1.01;

Driver=Panasonic CD-RW (5.01)

Thank you Jim B

• 1 month later...

Amy: Thank You for offering the beta....

Memo to ALL CD-R users (not DVD):

I used the beta test for the error on Multi CD-Rs. It worked fine.

Now I am using RDU 3.6.106, the recently released Driver.

It too works very well. At least for my HDW, they seemed to have it fixed.

Cheers, Jim B appl.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------

10.2.6 on a G4 400 mhz Desktop w/ 704/20; VPC 6.0.1 with Windows2000 & RE ver 5.0.238 and driver 3.6.106;

ID=ATAPI-A; Vendor=Matsushita; Product= CD-RW CW-7586; Version=1.01;

Driver=Panasonic CD-RW (5.01)