Incremental Backups Freeze

I'm currently using Retrospect Express 4.3 on a G4/466 OS 9.2.1. I am able to do a new backup to an external 60GB Firewire drive, but when I go to do my scheduled backups or use a run document the software launches and goes through the disk scan and freezes right before it is ready to start backing up the files. If I create a new job and backup to a new set it will work the first time but when I do any additional backups to the same set I get the freeze right after scanning the files.

Any help would be appreciated. My ultimate goal is to backup my 12GB of data from my internal 40GB drive to my external 60GB Firewire drive and to do additional backups when my computer is shutdown by placing a run document in my shutdown items, this way I don't have to worry about a backup wanting to start while I'm working.

Thanks Again,

Jeff

As a test, try backing up a small data set to your primary hard drive, rather then the external hard drive. If this works, time to troubleshoot the external drive:

Check cables

Make sure the drive is plugged directly into the computer and is isolated

Check the drive with a disk utility and/or reformat the drive

Try the drive on a different computer

If backups continue to fail on the external drive after checking cables, format and trying on another computer, the drive - being the only variable that hasn't changed - is the problem.