Back up attempts of Virtual PC v.4

I have a PowerMac 7300, 18Gb hard drive, w/NewerTech G4-400Mhz card installed, using Iomega (Firewire) 20Gb Peerless portable hard drive for the back up destination. After backing up my hard drive, I retrieved the following message from the Retrospect Express v.4.3 log, " Can't read file “Mac HD:Virtual PC™ 4.0:Windows 98 SE (up to 10 GB)”, error -23 (unknown)."

I would appreciate any assistance in resolving the preceding issue in not being able to back up the Virtual PC "folder."

Thanks.

The Macintosh doesn't actually view Virtual PC as a folder - it is viewed as a large, single file. And, Retrospect 4.3 was not able to backup single source files that were larger then 2 gigabytes in size. This issue has been resolved with Retrospect 5.0.

Keep in mind that, even if you upgrade to Retrospect 5.0 in order to complete the backup, Virtual PC is still a single file. Everytime that file changes, the _entire_ file will need to get backed up again. The mere process of booting into Virtual PC will most likely make changes to file.

You may want to consider excluding the Virtual PC file from your backup.