iMac CD-R 4120B and general comments

I'd like to start out by making a plea on behalf of novice Retrospect users (of which I am not one) for Dantz to please simplify the process of setting up and supporting backup devices.

A practical way that this could be done would be if Retrospect had a setup wizard/option which would investigate what backup hardware is available (CD-R, tape drives etc), then download information from the Dantz site about what system configuration is required for this to work (system version, software upgrades etc) and compare this against the users' system configuration. Retrospect could then step the user through the available options for getting their drive to work, and even assist the user to download required third party software if necessary.

I've been trying to get Retrospect Express 5 to backup to a CD-R on a flatscreen iMac. This model has an Hitachi-LG GCC-4120B CD-R/DVD drive. Specific setup instructions for this drive are documented at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=8560

I begin by saying I consider it unsatisfactory that Retrospect are shipping a product intended for simple backups that does not work "out of the box" with one of Apple's main consumer model.

The device notes provided by Retrospect on the above page are confusing and really could do with some editing. The four options are crammed together and look like they have had all formatting removed (line breaks etc) which would have made the entry readable. There is no indication as to which of the documented options are preferred (if any). I think there should be a recommended configuration *guaranteed to work* which does not result in any loss of functionality (eg require disabling of CD/DVD extensions), followed by alternatives.

A big problem with these instructions is the the software version numbers listed are in several cases not the latest. It would be unclear to a novice (and many iMac users are novice computer users) where they would get these software upgrades from, especially as in several cases they are not available as separate downloads (eg SDAP Authoring Support is part of the Authoring Support package, searching Apple's support website for SDAP will return no hits).

The page above says the minimum version supported is Retrospect Express 5. Yet the device notes detail how to setup with v 4.3 (However any 4.3 users reading this, I can save you some time, these instructions don't work in my experience. I was unable to get 4.3 to function with this drive and consequently went ahead and upgraded to 5.)

My understanding is that there are four possible configurations for backup to the 4120B CD-R under OS9.

Option 1

The first option gives Retrospect exclusive use of the drive and requires disabling the Apple CD/DVD Driver version 1.4.7 and SDAP Authoring Support version 1.2. This is hardly a satisfactory arrangement as presumably then you could not use the drive for normal purposes such as burning CD in the finder, listening to music etc. This option also requires that you have Toast s/w installed.

After Retrospect has gained exclusive access to this drive, the Eject button on the keyboard is disabled. Required files on Macintosh OS 9.1 (minimum):

-Retrospect 4.3

-Retrospect Driver Update 2. 2 (minimum)

-Retrospect SDAP Support extension version 1.2

-Toast CD Reader 5.0.x

** If you are using this option and running OS 9.2.1 disable the following extensions:

-Apple CD/DVD Driver version 1.4.7

-SDAP Authoring Support version 1.2

Option 2:

Required files on Macintosh OS 9.2.x:

-Retrospect 4.3 -

Retrospect Driver Update 2.2 (minimum)

-The Authoring Support Update Extensions: A) Apple CD/DVD Driver version 1.4.7 B) SDAP Authoring Support version 1.2 C) Apple Packet Media Access version 1.0.1

Option 3

Required files on Macintosh OS 9.1 (minimum):

-Retrospect 5.0

-Toast CD Reader 5.0.x

** If you are using this option and running OS 9.2.1 disable the following extensions:

-Apple CD/DVD Driver version 1.4.7

-SDAP Authoring Support version 1.2

Option 4

Required files on Macintosh OS 9.2.x:

-Retrospect 5.0

-The Authoring Support Update Extensions:

A) Apple CD/DVD Driver version 1.4.7 B) SDAP Authoring Support version 1.2 C) Apple Packet Media Access version 1.0.1

It would be a big help if the above page documented where the appropriate software downloads can be obtained. For example the latest link to Authoring Support 1.1.9 is http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa/105/wa/query?searchMode=Expert&type=id&val=KC.120083

My next post will document the problems I've had trying to get Retrospect working with this drive.