update: Retrospect Express on Titanium G4

Per suggestion of AmyC, I double checked that I had all the recommended extensions. It turns out that I had the Retrospect SDAP Authoring Support for Retrospect 4.3 rather than Retrospect 5.0 in the extensions folder. I quickly made the correction and excitedly did a test backup on a file of 1.2 gig. so that two CDs would be required. (I knew something was different because the Performance Source was at 25-26 meg/min rather than 23-24 meg/min) Again, when the program got to the verification phase and asked for insertion of 1-Backup A, I inserted the specified disk and the program did not recognize it. It took a long time to load and in the end "erased it" (which, of course, is not possible since it is a CD-R). It still asked for 1-Backup A so I ejected the supposedly erased disk and re-inserted it. Magically, it recognized it. When it got done with 1-Backup A, it asked for 2-Backup A, which it did recognize. The whole process was successful with the words "Backup Successful" displayed. I am still a bit puzzled why the program gummed up a little at the verification phase. It was a good thing I didn't just give up and re-inserted 1-Backup A. Now, I am still a bit gunshy about doing a full-fledged back up which could take 10 hours only to have the whole thing "screw up" on me. Advice ?

Please make sure you are replying to your oringal posts, rather then starting new threads each time. I noticed that you had three different threads in the Express for Macintosh forum on the same issue, which makes it difficult to follow the issue. I have deleted one of the threads.

That being said, how are you determining that Retrospect is "erasing" the CD's? Did the screen say erasing? Do you have "erasing" listed in your log? There is no function in Retrospect during a verification to erase a CD. If I understand what led you to feel that it was erasing, I can shed more light on the situation.

Make sure you are using a good, name brand media with your backup - such as TDK, Sony or Verbatim. Many lower end, or generic, brands can cause problems during a backup.