restoring from bad backup sets

I recently had a complete hard drive failure on my Mac G3 laptop and had a new drive installled by Apple. When I tried to restore from recent backup sets I got a few strange error messages. After using Retrospect's verification tool I discovered that two out of four backup sets had errors that prevent me from restoring the whole set to my hard drive. Can someone tell me what these things mean (examples below)? In the one case there are two files that were not verified and I assume they have bad headers, but that I can manually restore everything else using the Files & Folders restore option. Am I correct in assuming this?

Examples of Verify errors:

Bad backup set header found (0x05b504bf at 2,096,924) -what do these numbers mean?

Backup set format inconsistency (12 at 2097155) -what does "12" mean?

I need to get to files from snapshots of each of these bad backup sets because of the way my hard drive crashed. It apparently lost a few files here and there over a couple of weeks, so in order to restore everything I was working on (including a review article due soon, emails, Excel spreadsheets, etc.) I need to be able to get to these key files as of the most recent backups just before (and slightly before) the time my hard drive went belly up.

If you can offer advice please email me directly. Thanks! -Carville

I have absolutely identical problems to Carville in similar circumstances - my G4 hard drive failed and I am restoring to the new one from a backup. Four of my five partitions have restored sucessfully but not the fifth one, where I get exactly the same error messages as Carville.

Fortunately this is not my most critical volume. However the experience is shaking my faith in the reliability of the software.

I would therefore also be very interested to see the replies to Carville's post. By the way good luck Carville!

Martin Deboo

• 2 weeks later...

This type of error usually means that there was damage to the media that the data was stored on. It can indicate other problems though, such as communication problems or device/hardware errors. The numbers aren't helpful for troubleshooting, unfortunately. They typically reference locations on the disk.

Without a bit more information, it's difficult to say what the problem is exactly. Please provide the following:

Retrospect Version and build

Computer Model and speed

Operating system

Device (from Retrospect's Configure > Devices > Device Status window)

Device firmware (in the version column of the Device Status window)

Device interface (SCSI, USB, FIreWire)

Media brand and size

Other Devices

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support