RetroExp crashes (Type 2) w/ QPS CD-RW

MY HARDWARE:

Power Macintosh G3 (beige) minitower

Belkin FireWire+USB combo PCI card

QPS Que! Fire external CD-RW drive (FireWire, 12x/10x/32x, Teac mechanism)

MY SOFTWARE:

MacOS 9.2.2

Toast 5 Titanium 5.1.2

Retrospect Express 4.3c

-------------------------------------------------------------------

When I first bought Retrospect Express (and was forced to upgrade) I discovered that Dantz was working on a software patch that would make their backup software compatible with my QPS CD-RW drive. I talked to Dantz and they assured me that they would send out notification as to when a patch would be available for this drive. I have yet to receive any notification.

Retrospect Express 4.3c will not create a backup set with this drive. It either crashes with a "Type 2" error or it rejects the media. I've tried multiple brands now and there is no change. I sought out Dantz' latest updaters on the company's web-site. Still no change. BTW: Toast works fine with my drive.

I take it that Retrospect Express 4.x is not compatible with this QPS drive, period? If so, how can I be sure that buying an upgrade to version 5 will change anything? Isn't there any way to get 4.3 to work? If not, maybe it is time to find another brand of backup software.

Updating to 5 won't change a thing. I'm having the same problems. See my posts under sdaniel. I've got a drawer full of different types of media that won't work, and have even done a clean system install, reinstalled the software, downgraded to 4.3 etc., etc., etc., and still can't figure this one out. I understand I'd have to pay more to talk to a tech than the update cost me for version 5. I'm close to doing that, but not that close. I'm running 9.2.1 (down from 9.2.2 as I thought that might be the problem) on a G4 using a QPS Que 8x4x32x. Anyway, If you figure anything out copy me, and I will do likewise.

• 2 weeks later...

The QPS Que! Fire 12x10x32x (CD-W512EB version) is not currently qualified for use with Retrospect. For a list of currently qualified devices, please see:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list

Dantz goes through a rigorous qualification process with every drive we test. This means that not every drive will be qualified and we can never guarantee that a particular device will be supported. Some drives do not get qualified ever, and some take 6 months to a year to get support. We have no way of telling if this drive will be supported or not at this moment.

We add device support often though, so do check back with our Hardware Compatibility list.