Lynne -

I'll try to answer these systematically so no question is left unanswered.

If there are special drivers needed to access your USB drive, that are not included in the System startup CD, they will most likely not be on the Retrospect CD. Many startup CD's include some kind of USB support, if only to access the keyboard and the mouse. It sounds like you _may_ have special drivers involved that won't be found on the System CD or the Retrospect CD.

1. The cost of the CD is $3.00 + $8.95 for shipping for Desktop, Workgroup and Server. You're correct, burning a copy of the installer on a CD would not be bootable, as it wouldn't include a system folder, among other items.

2. If you boot from a CD, you will not be able to burn back out to a CD. You would need another backup device, such as the Zip disk you mentioned.

Please keep in mind that we are not recommending that users boot from a CD to do their normal backups. The ultimate goal is to identify where the extension conflict lies in your system, and go from there. Booting from a CD to do your backups would be very inefficient.

Regards,

Amy

thanks Amy,

I am very happy to get a clear confirmation of what I suspected to be true.

Now, what is left for me to try? I can order the RE CD, but I won't be able to do a backup to my CD-RW drive, so how will I run and backup with RE? (I really do NOT want to buy a whole lot of zip 100s and spend the time putting each one in to do my backup)

Would updating to CarbonLib 1.6 be likely to make a difference?

thanks,

Lynne

The best way to approach this is to figure out where you're having a conflict on your system and solve the overall issue, rather then trying to find a workaround.

Updating to CarbonLib 1.6 may make a difference, but you also want to make sure all your programs are up to date, try disabling extensions, etc. as described in previous posts.

Here is the solution that worked for me. I can't remember who posted it on the Dantz site, but he evidently went to a lot of trouble to discover the conflict. In any case, if you're using a Logitech trackball, you must go to the Logitech web site and download the most recent trackball software. As soon as you install this, the type 1 errors stop, and Retro 5.0 works flawlessly. If you aren't using a Logitech device, then there has to be another extension conflict. Please post your successes or failures so others may benefit.

Hello erant!

I read your post about updating the Logitech trackball driver software. I am using a Logitec Optical Mouse so, following your suggestion, I updated the drivers as well. I'm pleased to report that it seems to have fixed the problem!! I'm able to backup, recover, etc., with no more System 1 errors!!

Thanks for your post for, without it, I'd still be wracking my brain trying to get RE 5.0 to work properly. KUDOS!!!!

Regards,

27 West

I posted earlier of success....and then, for what ever reason it stopped working, until..... After reading the above posts on the Logitech issue I updated the driver for my Optical mouse and now it's working again??!!! Man I hope it's not going to be like this for as long as I use OS 9.2.2. Anyway, thanks for the advice, it worked for me.

I also use a logitech mouse, so this may work for me as well. Did you have any trouble trying to download the 4.03 updater from the logitech web site? I couldn't get it to start the download; just got a message from IE telling me to save it to a "known" location on my HD and quit other apps. I clicked on OK but then had no option for saving or downloading, so the process stopped there, no matter what I tried! Or, did you download the beta version for OSX?

Me too!!!

I thought I was alone. There is clearly a major problem with this software. Dantz ought to fix it NOW, or give us our money back.

In the UK if someone sells you something which doesn't do what it is supposed to we are protected by law.

I downloaded the latest software from the Dantz web site.

Every time I try to perform a backup to file the application quits and I get a type 1 error message after the 'privileges' progress box has started running.

I have tried backing up to a file on the standalone machine and to an external removable LaCie hard drive.

I am running system 9.2.2 on a Macintosh G4.

Further to my earlier posting, having now read all the threads on this problem, I downloaded Carbon Lib 1.6 and Authoring Support 1.1.9 and restarted using system 9.2.2 extensions only, and now it's working OK.

All I've got to do now is find the offending extension, I'm not using any Logitech devices, so any suggestions would be helpful.....

In reply to:

There is clearly a major problem with this software. Dantz ought to fix it NOW, or give us our money back.

In all cases, it has been determined that the user had an extension conflict, which is common to the Macintosh OS in general, or that they needed to update outdated software to run in a Carbon environment. This in no way indicates any kind of defect with the Retrospect software.

Try booting from your system CD, and backing up to your local drive as a test (your external drive probably can't be seen when booted from your OS CD). Does the problem go away? If so, you have a conflict in your existing operating system, which may include an extension conflict or other software that is either too old or not designed to run in a Carbon environment.

For more information on Extensions Troubleshooting, please see:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30929

Hello all,

I had a difficult time downloading the logitech driver. I got the same JavaScript message saying I should save the file to the HD, etc. I got creative ;-). I click-held the link and (using Netscape 4.77) I used the "New Window with this link" option. I'm not sure what the options are using IE, but there should be something similar. It immediately started to download. I think Logitech has a JavaScript bug on that webpage.

Here's the link for quick reference:

Logitech Driver

Just click the above link and you're there!!!

Good luck,

27 West

West,

thanks for the tip; actually, I emailed tech support at logitech and they gave me an ftp address to use, which worked great.

Now I can use RE 5 with OS 9.2.1!!!!!

thanks to all who helped!!

Lynne

• 2 months later...

After grappling with type 1 errors every time I tried to use RE over two weeks and trying all sorts of things to fix the problem, I finally discovered this discussion forum. Updating the MouseWare for my Logitech Optical mouse seems to have fixed the problem.

I know that Dantz cannot possibly test RE with every combination of MacOS extensions and software available, but I think there have been enough postings on this subject for Dantz to put a notice on its support page rather than users having to plough through all these postings to find a solution.

• 2 weeks later...

For hours I tried to get retrospect Express running, always crashed, always System Error 1. Finally I discovered this forum an THANKS TO YOU ALL, the problem is solved: YES, it is the Logitech Mouseware driver. I deleted it and Retrospect strated running. Today I got the new updated Logitech driver and I am making my first backup right now. Again, Thanks for this valuable info!

Note to Dantz Tech Support: Since the Logitech Driver seems to be a conflict that is happening to multiple users, don't you think it is time to update your ReadMe with this issue?

Regards,

Bjorn