I'm working with the following configuration: Mac G4/400, MacOS 9.2.1 (no OS X!), Retrospect Express 5.0.205, ext. LaCie FireWire CD-Writer. I got the following problem: after configuring and trying to do a backup to my CD-Writer just after scanning the files/icons Retrospect Express crashes giving me an "unexpected error 1"! the CD-Writer is correctly recognized as device. I tried to do a backup on a second built-in HD, with the same result, crash! So I exclude problems with my CD-Writer. I'm a newie... so please, any help!!! big thanks

Hi PN!

I, too, am getting an "Unexpected Error 1" when I try to access already backed up files. I've also gotten the error when I just about ready to backup a volume. It comes up "Really execute?", I click "Yes" and, BAM...error type 1. From my understanding, an error type 1 is a memory error. So I bumped up the memory of the application. Still getting the type 1 error.

I am using Retrospect Express 5.0.205 with an iMac DV 400 running under OS 9.1. My CD-RW is a Fantom Drives PlexWriter 8/4/32A (which is supported). Are we the only ones getting this error?

Help, please!

27 West

27 West: So I'm not the only one! I did the same thing, bumped up the memory of the application but nothing changed. Like I wrote i tried to do backups on different devices, ext. CD-Writer, int. HD, ext. ZIP-Drive. All this devices are recognised correctly! But I still got this "unexpected error 1". By the way I sent a mail ref. this problem to the Dantz-customer-support but affter 2 weeks I still didn't got any answer !?!??

Hi PN Jr.,

I'm just wondering if the backups I made are really useful or just drink coasters. I've already junked files to clear up some drive space figuring the backups were fine. Now, I'm worried. I got this software (Retrospect Express 5.0) packaged with my Norton System Works. I've had no issues with AntiVirus or Utilities and, when I do have a question, Symantec answers ASAP. It's sad that you didn't get a reply. Maybe they'll (Dantz) read these postings and give us an answer. Then again...

27 West

[this post moved to the correct forum]

Re: pnjunior

Try creating a new set of extension with just Mac OS Base, Retrospect, and any extensions required to access your device(s).

What is the mechanism of the device that you are using?

Re: 27West

The version that shipped with Symantec needs to be updated. This update is available at:

www.dantz.com/symantec

If you get the same error, please do the same as suggested above.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Hello Irena,

Thanks for the reply. I have already updated to 5.0.205, thanks. I have also tried making an extensions set using the OS 9.0 Base extensions along with the Retrospect extensions and firewire control extensions. No dice, I would still get a System Error 1. The only way I'm actually able to access the backed up files is to restart the computer and open Retrospect Express before ANY other apps. If I have any other apps running, there tends to be a conflict. Does this make any sense and, furthermore, what happens if I can't get Retrospect to run and I need to access backed up files?

Thanks,

27 West

Hi Larry,

I was hoping that someone from Dantz could address this issue via the forum. Originally I thought it was an extensions problem, which is a "common" occurance in Macs. But now I see that three of us have this problem and we've ALL tried the standard stuff to make Retro Express work. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am able to get it to work when it is the first and ONLY app running, but that just shouldn't have to be the case. Fingers crossed, we'll hear something from Dantz on this...stay tuned. Are you using an iMac DV/slot loading iMac?? Also, what OS are you running?

Regards,

27 West

Hello Irena!

I have also system 1 error on my newly purchased Retrospect 5 software. I use IMAC with

system 9.2.2 and a LaCie USB driver with MITSUMI CR4804TE. I have also tried with basic OS and only

Retrospect drivers installed. The driver is recognized by the program but when I start the

backup I get system error 1. Please help me?

Rolf

I have been having the same problem! I am using OS 9.2.1 and recently upgraded to RE 5.0 from 4.3 and when trying to back up to a new storage set, I first got the message, -108, out of memory. I upped the memory allocated to the app to about 20000 (in 3 steps, trying to get rid of the message), and then I instead got an error message of 1 or 2 (most likely out of memory, as it happens now right after the HD has been scanned and when it is preparing to back up the selected files). I have downloaded and installed the 5.025 (or whatever the lastest is) updater and it I still get the error when trying to back up. I even tried using the OS 9.2.1 base set, and then the 9.2.1 all set, but each time I still cannot get past the scanning (it scans about 45000 files). I have even done a clean install of the system software, but it still gives me the error after scanning.

This is very curious, as it worked fine with 4.3! How can I get RE 5 to work without paying for tech support?? Dantz should provide a 30-day free support to make sure the purchaser can get the product to work!!!!

Can I get my money back?

To all that are seeing this error:

Please post DETAILS so that we can try to find a pattern to these problems.

Retrospect Version and build

Computer Model and speed

Operating system

Device (from Retrospect's Configure > Devices > Device Status window)

Device firmware (in the version column of the Device Status window)

Device interface

Media brand and size

Other Devices

Other programs running?

Have you tried booting with base extensions?

When, exactly, does the error occur? Is it completely reproducible?

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Here are the details, Irena.

Imac 500 mhz (summer'01), running OS 9.2.1 (and OS 10.1.3 not partitioned, but booted in OS 9.2.1-- NOT in Classic).

Retrospect Express 5.0205.

Using CD-RW drive that came with imac model: Matshita CD-RW, CW-7121 AH 36; the blank CD is listed with this info. as Panasonic CD-RW (1.50).

I have used this CD-RW drive and this kind of blank CD-RW with Retrospect Express 4.3 successfully (after having updated the driver, etc.) to create a storage set!

However, when I tried BOTH doing an immediate backup to the existing storage set on CDs AND an immediate update to a new storage set with a blank CD, in BOTH CASES, I would get an "error of type 1" because the application "unexpectedly quit", AFTER I started the immediate backup process, it scanned the hard drive (and found over 50,000 folders), and then after checking for icons, it then quit "unexpectedly".

This is imminently reproducible-- I have been able to reproduce this error at least 8 times so far!

Yes, I first upped the memory allocation in the RE get info about memory window to 22,000 kb, and I still got the error message.

I also tried running RE after restarting with the OS 9.2.1 base set, and then again with the 9.2.1 all set, but no luck.

I even did a clean install of the system software!

BTW, does the RE folder belong in the Applications (OS 9) folder, in the Applications folder, or just "loose" in the Hard drive?

thanks for any help you can give.

Hello again Irena,

Retrospect Express Version 5.0.205

iMac DV400, 400MHz, 192 MB RAM

OS 9.1

Device: Plextor CD-R PX-8432T, Driver: Plextor CD-RW 1.50

Dev Firmware: 1.05

Firewire

TDK, Memorex and/or Sony CD-Rs, 750MB

20GB Firewire HD, on second(separate) port on iMac

No other apps running...

No luck booting from Base extensions...

Retro will scan HD for folders and files, will be ready to execute, warning dialog box with "Really Execute?" comes up, I click "OK"...ERROR TYPE 1!

I can ALWAYS reproduce this error.

I can sometimes get Retro to run if it is the first and ONLY application I run. That is how I was able to complete a backup set of my hard drive. But, now that I want to "add on" new/edited files to the set I've created, I get an Error Type 1.

I just restarted my system and ran Retro Express immediately (ONLY app running) to try to add on some files. I was successful, with no Error Type 1. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

27 West

Irena,

Add to my previous post that my imac is a CD-RW with 385 MB physical RAM and Virtual Memory set to 400 MB, and that I ran RE with no other apps running.

thanks,

Lynne

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm a new to this message board, but not new to Retrospect. But I'm so glad I checked here before jumping through all the hoops you all have in trying to correct the Type 1 error I keep getting!

Everyone who has listed their configurations to Irena seem to have a CD-RW drive. I wanted to let you know that the problem also exists with tape drives. Here's my configuration:

Retrospect 5.0.205

Mac G3 beige, 300 MHz

Mac OS 9.1

Device: listed as Python 04106-XXX in Device Status window, hardware is actually a Seagate Scorpion model STD624000N, DDS-3 device)

SCSI interface

Media: Fuji DDS DG3-125M

Other devices: CD-RW, scanner, iomega Jaz and internal Zip

Doesn't matter which programs are running at the time. The only way to avoid the Type 1 error is to reboot, and as someone already posted, run Retrospect and do what I need BEFORE running any other programs.

Haven't tried booting with base extensions, as everyone else already invented THAT wheel.

My Type 1 error occurs during any type of restore operation, right at the end of "Scanning devices." It scans all my SCSI busses, then quits. If I start Retrospect without rebooting my Mac, I get the same thing consistently.

Please help!!! I'm a corporate graphic artist who depends on this program daily!!!

Thanks,

Lisa

P.S. thanks to everyone who posted...you saved me a lot of time and sweat! :)

Hello again!

Is anyone from Dantz actually reading these postings? It has been well over a month and this issue still hasn't been addressed. As a courtesy, please let us know that you're at least looking into the System 1 error.

27 West

hi 27 west! (and all the others having the same problem). Thank you for expressing my thoughts, in fact I'm very dissapointed the way DANTZ has reacted (or NOT reacted...) to this problem! I think it doesn't make sense to discuss even more technical-details as we all have posted in this forum enough different software/hardware-configurations. Fact is that this problem seems to appear only when NOT using OS X. Now like many others I make my living "working on my Mac" and will only switch to OS X (and happily will...) when I can be sure that everything works like it should. Sure, OS X made a lot of progress but I simply CAN NOT AFFORD to mess around and play beta-tester for Apple! Anyway, I switched back to an early version of Retrospect express (4.3) without having any problems at all, like it used to be! I'm sad (and angry) because I can't use my legally purchased version 5.0 (OS X compatible, sic...)

Type 1 errors are Mac OS memory-addressing errors. In order to troubleshoot them, all the variables need to be isolated. For those of you experiencing this issue, try booting off the Retrospect CD or your System CD. Run Retrospect and see if the problem can be reproduced.

I just "upgraded" today and was pissed to get this error message. I immediately called Dantz and couldn't even talk to any tech person without paying $40! The customer service drone said she's refund my money. I've been using software for 3 years now and that's their answer? Anywho....glad to hear it's not just me. Thankfully 4.3 works fine. I'll just get my refund.

G4 450 dual

OS 9.2.2

QPS Que fire 12x

Tried base extensions, etc, no luck

Amy,

I don't have Retrospect 5 on a CD (I downloaded it, darn), and all I have is the software install CD that came with my imac last summer, and it tells me that my USB devices are not functional when booted from this CD, so I cannot save the storage set to zip disks. Also, when you have booted from the software CD, how can you save a storage set to CDs, as I have been doing? sorry if this is a dumb question. I just cannot boot from a CD and run Retrospect. (I did do a clean install of the OS, though).

thanks,

Lynne

I posted earlier in regards to this problem and have seemed to have figured it out (if you're running 9.2.2 and a QPS 12x firewire burner).

It was a good old fashion extension conflict. Make sure the following extensions are disabled:

Authoring support, firewire Authoring Support, SDAP Authoring Support, USB Authoring support

This is in addition to any itunes extensions which I had to disable in order to be able to run toast (look on Roxio's website or qps's for details). I also downloaded the latest update from apple's software updater which I think had something to do with it. Good luck.

Dave C

Dave,

If I disable the Authoring Support extensions, then I won't be able to back up my files by burning them onto a CD! I was able to do just that with RE 4.3, BTW.

I will look into the itunes extensions and try that, though I've read that if the problem is an extension conflict, it usually happens at startup, which mine doesn't.

I am running 9.2.1 and do not have a FW drive.

What Apple software update are you referring to?

thanks,

Lynne

Retrospect 4.3 and Retrospect 5.0 have one major difference: Retrospect 5.0 is a Carbon application which allows it to run on OS 9 as well as OS X. Any Carbon application running on OS 9 requires the CarbonLib extension, in addition to base extensions, to launch and run. With previous versions of Retrospect, no extensions were needed to actually launch the program.

You may have programs on your machine that conflict with CarbonLib or Carbon based applications in general. It is important to update all your programs to ensure best case compatibility.

We currently do not have a list of known extension conflicts. Every system is different, and extensions that have a conflict on one system do not always have a conflict on another system.

Regarding the error Type 1, we have not seen a situation yet where the problem does not go away when booting from either the System CD or a Retrospect CD. This would indicate an extension conflict with an installed program that may not be designed to run while Carbon applications are in use.

Also, CarbonLib 1.6 and Authoring Support 1.19 are now available from Mac OS 9's Software Update control panel. You may need to be using OS 9.2.2 to upgrade.

Amy,

thanks for the clarification.

I do have CarbonLib 1.5 active on the set I am trying to run RE 5.0 from; I would like to be able to boot from a CD and try running RE, but I simply do NOT have such a CD. I have the OS 9.1 software install CD (which leaves my USB disabled upon startup), and I downloaded RE 5.0, so I have no CD for it.

1) Can I get RE 5.0 on a bootable CD without paying for the software twice (IOW, just pay for the CD & S & H??) I could burn the installer onto a CD, but I'm guessing it would NOT be bootable.

2) If I boot from a CD, how will I be able to burn my backup set to a CD, which is the method I am set up for? (the alternative is to use tons of 100 mb zip disks)

3) I can run the updaters for CarbonLib and the system software, but I want to get answers to the above questions first.

thank you for your continued help!

Lynne