A newbie needs help...

I have had Retrospect Exp. for Mac for a while, but have never mastered it and I KNOW I am not doing this right. Please help as my attempts to contact Dantz Tech Support before have been completely unsuccessful, and the documentation has been confusing:

I have a Mac G3 with OS 9.2, 6GB internal hard drive. I want to back up everything to my external 13GB Firewire Hard Drive, and schedule it so that it backs up twice a week.

I am kind of familiar with the software, but get confused about what "Backup Sets" are and on which drive they should be saved. Also, this element of ver 4.3 not being able to back up more than 2 GB confuses me too. Is that a 2GB file, or a 2 GB backup set? I want to not have to split my HD backup into more than one easy backup set. Can Retrospect back up a 6Gb hard drive?

Can someone give me a simple step-by-step? Tech support has never responded to my requests for help.

Many thanks,

TP

Here's a tutorial that guides you through saving the backup sets. If you want two backup sets on the external drive, then create two sets and save them on that drive.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=tutorial_osx_ibhd1

A backup set is basically just one large file that contains a copy of all the files you've backed up. It sounds like you'll end up with two files saved to that external drive.

There is no 2 GB limit for the backup set as long as you make sure that the drive is formatted in HFS+. To do this, highlight the drive in the Finder and do Command-I (or select Get Info from the File Menu). Under Format, it needs to day HFS+ or Mac OS Extended. If it says Mac OS Standard, you need to reformat it using Disk Utility. This will erase all data on the external drive though, so use caution!

4.3 can't back up any single file larger than 2 GB though; to do this you need to upgrade to 5.0.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support