CD initialization

I've had Retrospect 4.3 for months, and have been sitting on it for the last few of those months. Why?

Because I spent a whole day backing up about 10 gigs to CDs only to find later, when I went to check them out of curiousity, that "this disk is not readable by this computer, because the disc is not initialized. Would you like to initialize the disc?"

So what the heck, I hit "Yes". Only to be told that I could not initialize the disc, because it is locked.

What the?

I am on OS 8.6, on a G$ 400 MHz, using a LaCie CD burner, 8x/4x.

I sure could use some help. Why was the disc not initialized when I originally backed up?

Thanks, Brian

Backup CDs created by Retrospect are accessed only through the application and do not mount on the desktop. Basically, the backup discs aren't finalized to be HFS, ISO9660, or UDF mountable formats so can never be read in a CD-ROM drive which requires one of these formats to mount a disc.

The CD should be readable in you bypass the OS dialog and go into Retrospect. From the Configure > Devices window, the name of the CD should show up.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support