I have tried everything

I have a G3 Blue/White PowerMac configured as follows:

OS 9.1

128MB of RAM

6GB Internal Drive (original equipment)

DriveSIIG Ultra ATA 133/100 Pro Controller connects to:

40GB Maxtor ATA

LaCie 32x10x40 U&I (mechanism is Lacie CDBP-321040A)

This device is connected via Firwire

My Problem:

Now matter what I try from all the possible fixes in the Knowledge Base, etc... to get this CDRW to work with my version of Express 4.3, I ALWAYS get an "Error 100, Device Rejected" command. I have used Retrospect since the 1980's. I know the software.

My attempts to troubleshoot:

1) The device is supported by Express 4.3, look here:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=344

2) The device shows up in the Apple System Profiler and functions properly.

3) The device works flawlessly with Toast Lite on all brands of media. I have tried 3 brands of media and tried CD-R AND CD-RW media and nothing works.

4) The device is recognized within Express 4.3

5) I have run the updates to Express for version 4.3 for Device Drivers AND Extensions per the Dantz support web site.

6) I have all the Toast Extensions for OS9 properly installed and running correctly for my device.

7) I have ONLY the "Apple CD/DVD Driver" extension turned on and all the other Apple Authoring Support 1.1.5 Extensions are OFF as instructed by the Dantz support site.

8) I have tried running the backup with just OS9.1 Base Extensions on. Nothing else and Authoring Support 1.1.5 set as listed in #7 above.

9) I have built a set of extensions that is a subset of of OS9.1 Base Extensions that allows the machine to start up and run only the necessary components to run the system in it most raw form.

NO MATTER WHAT I TRY NOTHING WORKS AND I ALWAYS GET A "100 DEVICE REJECTED". WHAT DO I DO NOW? FIND A DIFFERENT BACKUP UTILITY THAT WORKS?

After reading the other user posts with similar problems I have identified that there is no reason to upgrade to version 5 of Express. I don't have another Mac with Firwire or USB to test my drive on but the drive is fine anyhw. It seems the software is to blame.

Does anyone have any useful advice?

The link you gave is for LaCie's 8x4x32 FireWire/USB Drive using an IEEE1394 and a USB bridge.

Your drive, the LaCie 32x10x40 U&I, is not yet qualified for use with Retrospect, I'm afraid.

Dantz goes through a rigorous qualification process with every drive we test. This means that not every drive will be qualified and we can never guarantee that a particular device will be supported. Some drives do not get qualified ever, and some take 6 months to a year to get support. We have no way of telling if this drive will be supported or not at this moment.

We add device support often though, so do check back with our Hardware Compatibility list.

Irena Solomon

Danzt Tech Support

I got a little presumptuous, but how was I supposed to know that a IEEE 1394/Firewire interface is a USB bridge? You are right about the drive. I have the 32x10x40 U&I and not the 8x4x32 U&I. So a few numbers are different... ;>)

So how do I figure out if Dantz is going to test, or is testing the drive, and if it will ever be qualified or denied for that matter???

Thanks,

Joe

It doesn't have anything to do with the USB/FireWire bridge (the interface is actually the same); it's the fact that the two drives themselves are totally different (different speeds, different internal mechanism).

Unfortunately, it's not possible to say if a drive can ever be qualified, or to give a timeline, since it depends on how the tests go. We've tested drives that looked promising, and then at the last minute had to not support them because they just weren't reliable enough for the kind of data transfer that Retrospect requires for whatever reason.

Irena